Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #1

Xbox, DVD, monitor, video camera

I want to instal an xbox hooked up to some type of flat screen monitor that will also play DVDs and hook up my laptop and video camera to. Have a rear cig lighter and will need an inverter

Got any ideas for me? What have folks done? Want this for both driving for rear and parked wilderness mode. Any threads or advice on this. Mainly for my kids in the rear. Have ford GTRV 2 engine start batteries and 2 auxiliary all in line I believe. I have a Honda generator too

4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #2

Re: Xbox, DVD, monitor, video camera

I'd be interested in how you do it, looking to do the same down the road....
Warn 12K
Extreme Air Mag
goblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #3

All of these items are powered from a power brick, so they are ultimately taking dc voltage as their power input. So you would be better off looking to do DC to DC conversions if needed. Most of the items you can find 12 volt power accessories for their specific item. You can always check the brick, they usually tell what the output is. Lap tops are usually higher then 12, but again in depend on your specific laptop.

You can try a place like http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt...ons-c-684.html or
http://www.roadtrucker.com/electronics-4.htm They sell 12 volt TVs , check as most of them can be used as monitors for computers , either VGA, or HDMI ,or DVI to HDMI. You could also get the DVD player built in.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
You could also get the DVD player built in.
Or use an xbox360 as the DVD player.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the ideas. I purchased a 15 inch LCD flat screen powered by both ac and dc and with built in DVD. Am looking around for a wall mount locking and quick release. Any wall mount ideas? I want to be able to quick disconnet to stow away from thieves!
4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4kayaker
Thanks for the ideas. I purchased a 15 inch LCD flat screen powered by both ac and dc and with built in DVD. Am looking around for a wall mount locking and quick release. Any wall mount ideas? I want to be able to quick disconnet to stow away from thieves!
How heavy is it? How about some industrial strength velcro with the corresponding pieces on a wall somewhere?

Herb
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #7

Thieves that aren't entirely clueless will see a wall mount (or power cable or windshield mount or adapter) and know there is probably a device that goes with it to hunt for. I mean, sure they'll take the monitor, but is it being in a drawer vs. on the wall really going to make the difference between if they break in or move on?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #8

http://www.ergotron.com/ makes a lot of wall mounts -- different sizes, styles, and colors. I'm not sure if they offer a quick release model.

-Peter
Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #9

As stated before, run everything off 12v it is so much more efficient than taking 12vdc upto 110ac and back to ~12vdc.
For the Xbox, it runs on 3.3v, 6v & 12v internally, with 6v line taking most of the amps. Finding a PSU that can supply the required amps on the 6v line and not 12v was the issue I found, as most PC's use more 12v than 6v, and that's the closest PSU you'll find to the Xbox PSU. In the end I found a car PC power supply that I modified to make work with the xbox. Just had to create a circuit to invert the PS-ON and PS-OK signals.
I also added a very large hard drive and loaded all games and DVD onto that, so no need to carry DVD's. Also use the TV's DVD player or headunit for when I do play a disk that's not been copied onto the xbox drive.
I mounted everything in a box along with the amps and it fits under the fold out bed. Xbox / Wireless / CarPSU / My conversion circuit / amps / etc etc

If you are not dead set on an Xbox, the Wii is a far better console to use in a vehicle since it already takes 12v and requires no load.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #10

Holy sweet box of stuff batman! Nicely executed. Do you have your amps running off the house battery and separately switched? IE, can you turn on the radio head unit (which wouldn't draw nearly as much as the amps) and just run the speakers that are powered by it? I'm assuming that you are actually running some speakers off of the radio itself I suppose.