Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #1

2010 SMB WEST GREY WATER SYSTEM DIAGRAM

UPDATED 04DEC10. Thought I'd post this grey water system diagram. Short of running the sink directly out the floor of the van - this is as simple as they come.

[photo][/photo]
Attached Thumbnails
2010 SMB West Grey Water System Diagram.jpg  

joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #2

Re: 2010 SMB WEST GREY WATER SYSTEM DIAGRAM

My van is somewhat different.

First, my batteries are mounted in fiberglass boxes beneath the floor and only vent out the drain holes in the bottom of the boxes.

Second, my sink drain is lower than the outside vent. I can see water back up in the sink before it runs down the side of the van. Only once have I let it get that full.

Except for a standard ''50" series, I suspect there is a lot of variation from van to van.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #3

Thanks for noticing this Mike. That's an error on my diagram and I'll fix it this weekend (see 06NOV10 update). I misunderstood when my partner said soap suds were coming out the vent without the sink backing up. That made me think the sink drain was higher than the vent, but after looking at it closer, turns out it was because warm soap suds are lighter than water.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #4

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

The gray water tank on my SMB has always been a problem. It filled much too rapidly and then blew out the vent. I had SMB level it and finally, (duh!) I measured it. While it said it was a 10 gallon tank embossed on the side of the tank, it is in fact just a 6 gallon tank.

So, I am pulling it out and putting a tank inside, under the sink which will hold more and be freeze free.

Lesson learned - measure the tank and compute the gallons it really can hold.

Regards,

Keith
Old 12-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger
under the sink which will hold more and be freeze free.
Freeze resistant.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #6

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
under the sink which will hold more and be freeze free.
Freeze resistant.
How true! I remember having to thaw inside-along-the-floor water lines after driving on I40 through snow and more snow for about 6 hours. I used my DW's hair dryer.

Keith
Old 12-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #7

Quote:
While it said it was a 10 gallon tank embossed on the side of the tank, it is in fact just a 6 gallon tank.
So right you are Keith! My GW tank measures 32.5" L x 11" W x 6" H and that's about 6 gallons. The tank is not labeled and there's no fine print in my contract on it, except for a warranty disclaimer that states "...design, specifications, and products may vary between Sportsmobile locations." I fell for the web page advertisement and a verbal confirmation of 12 gallons during the design phase. Just goes to show you have to get it in writing if you really want it. Only reason I even asked for verbal confirmation is the web site lists a cassette player as standard equipment and nobody makes those any more...

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll fix the schematic. Not a big deal for me, but looks like I may be emptying that tank more often than I thought I would be.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #8

Re: Gray Water Tank. When you wash the van water can fill the gray water tank if you squirt water in the vent. That's the way I rinse my gray water tank ... just pull the drain plug(s) and give it a squirt in the vent to rinse the lines and tank. Then I pour a little Simple Green solution down the sink drain to clean the P trap and leave a little sanitizer in the tank.

Philip
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote