Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #1

Any Austin residents out there?

Are there any Austin SMB owner's out there that want to stop by SMB Texas and take a few pictures of my van for me?

I've asked for some pictures to see where progress is at, but haven't gotten anything from SMB, so next best thing is for someone to stop by and snap a few. I'd fly in myself but it gets real expensive real quick.

My van is a Red Quigley RB, affectionately known as "Clifford". Pre-SMB pictures are in my gallery.

Van will be ready in two weeks, so I imagine by early next week a lot of progress would have been made.

Thanks!

sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #2

Re: Any Austin residents out there?

I am in Llano county, NW of Austin, and we have been SMB shopping. I was gonna stop by their shop and checkout floor plans again and look in their instock vans.

If I can get there, I'll definitely find the red one and get some pics. I am thinking Saturday morning.

What do you want pics of anyway?? Anything specific?

TJ
jenningt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #3

Thanks!

Pictures of anything and everything- I'm particularly curious about my interior colors and how that is turning out, the front bumper, which I ordered without the brush guard, the stuff underneath and how it has fit (generator, air compressor, a/c unit, electric running boards), and finally, if they've gotten to the custom cabinet and racks for my windsurfing gear behind the driver's side.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #4

Oh, I just realized this... I think they're closed on Saturdays... bummer.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #5

Website says:
SMB TX
Hours: M-F 8-4:30 / Sat 9-12
512.835.4409 Fax: 512.835.1293

I'll call before I go, but looks like Sat AM is good to go.

From the site, West/Fresno is closed on Sat, but TX and IN are open till noon.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #6

Here you go, these are 800x600. I have bigger if you need more detail on something. They said the bumper has not arrived yet.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #7

TJ,
Thank you SO much for all the pictures. It's nice to know that the van is starting to shape up, and now I have something to obsess over for the next few days!

I hope your hunt for an SMB went well also and that you got to see what you were looking for.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #8

That is going to be a great van.

I can't tell if it has carpet or not. If it does, think about ditching it before it is too far along. The carpet gets wet and it the water wicks up the particle board causing it to swell. That has happened in several places in my van but it is older, they may have done something about this. I guess you would have the same problem with vinyl but it would be easier to see and dry out the liquid. the real issue is particle board resting on the floor. It needs to be raised 1/4 inch or more or set on something that will not swell when wet.

Just my 2 cents. I'm going to have to take out my cabinets and repair/replace the bottom couple of inches in places (leaky ice chests and broken water bottle).

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog225
I can't tell if it has carpet or not. If it does, think about ditching it before it is too far along. The carpet gets wet and it the water wicks up the particle board causing it to swell.
Tom,
Thanks for the comment. The floor is that vinyl "loncoin" stuff that you see in elevators and airports. I had the same concern with the wood and they told me they don't use particleboard any more- just plywood. Water is a huge issue in a van that is going to have water sports equipment packed inside, so we'll se how it goes. I'm already thinking about hanging some sort of a drying rack from the ladders to try to let stuff dry before it goes in the van... but at some point water will probably get in, so your point is well taken.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #10

I'll leave it alone after this but any space between the floor and the wood would be a big help. Even if it is just nylon floor sliders scattered under the wood work. Alternatively or in conjunctipn, sealing the bottom inch of the wood would help. Epoxy, varnish, latex paint, anything. Plywood will be a lot better than particle board but will still suffer water damage. So easy now; so hard later....

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote