Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #11

Re: Build Thoughts

Thanks again for your input Steve. I completely forgot about OBA (even though some type of compressor is needed for the ARB, my past experience with them is that they're only good for one thing: activating the diff locks). And thanks for sharing your experience with the microwave. I thought it would be convenient for re-heating meals on-the-go. But, we don't even OWN one at home so I think we could live without one. My concern with a cooktop AND microwave was loosing the storage space in the galley area. I had considered a taller countertop above the fridge, but then the window would be partially blocked. Dilemma time Now with the microwave out of the picture, we can get back storage for pots, pans, etc.

Oh, nice job on the Loncoin-lined galley box on the door. Sweet!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #12

Its going to be a nice build! Ours was very similar. Here is my 2 cents.

Don't worry about the window, go with more storage. Our da-nite shade stayed closed on that window 95 percent of the time anyway. Speaking of shades, I don't see them on your list. We went with the larger but much more efficient fridge which raised the counter higher than normal. Again, I would not give a second thought as to reducing or losing that window. Our camping focus was all out the side and rear doors. When we boon-docked, The trees or bushes would always be placed to block the view out of that window.

I would seriously take a much harder look at the fridge though, as its going to be your biggest power hog by far. We blazed new ground with the Indel Marine Cruise 130 but they make smaller ones as well. Its the ASU feature that is important if you want to save power.

As for the SMB carpet overlay, keep it. Pull it out and leave it home when your headed on a potential muddy trip, keep it in for the dry runs. It is easy to pull out and clean (even to shampoo), is a lot more comfortable on the feet than the vinyl flooring and helps with the acoustics. Its a little bit of a pain when trying to slide the porta-potty in or out when it has the cover on it. (Keep the cover on it to keep the smells cooped up.)

I would pass on the porch lights. I don't think the standard fare offered by SMB really does much. I would spend more and get LED from Rigid Industries or something similar. They put out far more light with very little power draw. Mounting them without a rack is a challenge. Nix any light SMB offers that isn't LED.

If you can, pick-up that FF axel right now (that U-Joint is offering) and put it in. It will give you much peace of mind when heading off for the "rugged, out of the way spots".

Have fun with the build. What ever option you make will be the right decision for you.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #13

And foam or rubber shop mats are great for insulation, sound & clean easy. The cheapo carpet I have on top needs to be sacrificed on occasion so I don't want anything nice.

I'd agree you might chuck the microwave; big power draw over short time and you can use propane ( or the gas stations microwave) instead.

And I get by with portable heaters instead of a built in.