Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Delete Water System?

They are just a smaller shop. Some parts might be different. In the past the pop top roofs were different...that might have changed by now. I haven't heard of too many complaints out of their customers but like any RV, a new buyer must expect such things. Each of the three shops have slightly different build practices from what I've read. You actually might get a better build out of a shop that's not pushing the production line so hard but there are other factors as well.

On your water system you might think of having a cabinet space built where you can store water. They make military grade water cans that won't split out or spill much. If you're not planning any rough road conditions even a office water dispenser might work for you. In some parts of the states the water has a horrible taste.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitely
Is Indiana a smaller/friendlier operation?
Much smaller. Fresno does about as many vans/month as Indiana does in a year. Since they don't do as many vans, every one is a custom (even the standard floorplans) and they don't have an issue adjusting a cabinet or couch by an inch or two to meet your needs. Call and talk to Jim or Nancy and ask about visiting the shop.

Fresno has a couple assy lines. One for 50 series vans and one for others. Custom floorplans sometimes suffer workmanship issues and may be slow to finish.

Mike
That is good information which I appreciate. Actually both of you guys' info was helpful but I couldn't figure out how to quote you both at the same time Just started checking out the custom builds section of the forum and seems pretty interesting....but not to do myself. I have accepted the fact that I am NOT handy. Neither is my father. It's genetic But SMB Indiana surely could once I figure out what I want. Anyway,
Whitely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #13

Had our SMB built in Indiana......great people to work with. We went minamal ....no water or propane. We always stay at campgrounds, state, federal as well as private. Do have a Refrigerator and microwave. If at sometime we can always add a porta potty. Very happy with our setup.
Anne

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #14

Garage

We don't have water but we do have a sink and drain. If we're in a civilized spot we deploy the modular grey water tank.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #15

It really depends on your use. We rarely stay at campgrounds that have electrical hook ups let alone water. In addition to the standard 20 gal fresh water tank we're adding a 40 gal tank where the spare tire used to be. Can't help it as we love our showers!
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #16

Dunno where you travel Whitely, but more and more campgrounds don't have water here in the west. And sometimes that's good; when it's out you often get in and pay less.

I am a HUGE fan of reverse feature creep; the less the better. A wash basin, tank and you are good to go. Take a look at RV and marine water tanks; you might wanna make sure you have room for one for those occasions (like anywhere in the desert west) where you wanna take a bunch of H2O. There are tons of pumps: 12v, drill, hand, siphon. And they work with standard plumbing fittings so you could customize your own setup pretty cheaply. Having a nice square big tank with hose fittings is nice; the plastic jugs all eventually leak, and the metal ones are pricey and heavy.

If I were to do it over, I'd probably delete the water system, and keep the tank. The system has never given me trouble, but it's a bunch of stuff.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #17

We carry 18 gallons of fresh water. Have two 1 gpm pumps, one for bathroom sink and one for the side door kitchen. No hot water. No pressurized tanks. Typically we use 2-3 gallons per day while camping. Find it very convenient to have on board water even with campgrounds that have water hydrants or pumps.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote