Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #1

EB E350 V10 WITH LIMITED SLIP NOT AVAILABLE FOR 2009

I found out that I could not get limited slip on a 2009 EB E350 V10 because they all now come with advanced Trac with Roll Stability Control and Traction Control. I was lucky some one cancelled an order so I was able to get a 2008 model. Otherwise, the cost is approx. $750 at Salem Kroger for a limited slip.

Angel

2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #2

Why is the advanced Trac worse than the limited slip?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
If you order the Dynatrac full floating rear axle, it comes with limited slip.
Bill
Old 08-03-2008, 11:55 PM   #4

TRACTION CONTROL

I was told that you do not want traction control if you are getting a 4X4. Because of roll over problems all EB E350 V10's for 2009 will have Advanced Trac with roll Stability and that comes with traction control. I certainly am no expert in this. I just thought I would pass along the information.

I am going to have Salem Kroger do the 4X4 on my SMB. They did a limited slip, a few years ago, on my 1990 E250 Falcon camper van that burned up last year.

Angel
Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #5

REAR AXEL

I was not planning to get a new rear axle. I think it would be an overkill. With the type of usage I will be doing, I planned on leaving the stock Dana 60 semi-float rear axle in place.

Angel
Old 08-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #6

Re: TRACTION CONTROL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel
I was told that you do not want traction control if you are getting a 4X4.
That is what I consider dubious information. I've heard you do and don't want every type of traction control device, transmission, transfer case, tire, tire size, tire width, gas, diesel, propane, engine type, make, model, year and even color by *somebody*.

Somewhere around question #7 is "can you turn the traction control off?"

But I'm getting ahead of myself, the first questions are:
#1 Why are you getting 4x4?
#2 How are you going to use your 4x4?

Of course it's moot since you got the 2008 you wanted (congrats!)
Old 08-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #7

Before I took delivery on my used 2007 E350 passenger van with Advance Trac RSC I had the Action Van Suspension 6" lift installed. Now when turning corners the traction control systems starts to kick in. After getting it home and getting the owners manual online, it stated NOT to modify suspension, steering or tires as for it can affect the Advance Trac RSC system. Using the "override" button on the dash works OK, but not 100% effected. Read someplace that Lockers or Limited Slip rears are also not to be used with the system.
Going to try a better front swaybar for now........
LeadDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:54 PM   #8

Jage,

You are right, everyone has an opinion and you know what opinions are like''and I am sure I get "dubious" information. I need to get enough correct information so I can form my own opinion but I still need to rely on people more knowledgeable than I.''

Craig at Salem Kroger gave me a written estimate of what he thought I should get. He said that a full float axle was an over kill but I think he might be wrong. I looked at the axles and lockers at SMBW and asked questions but only got what % of people get what.

Are there some web sites and/or books you would suggest I read? This is such a mans area but I am going to do my best to learn.

Angel
Old 08-31-2008, 08:52 AM   #9

I think the websites and books out there suffer from the same problem. If anything the "dubious opinion" is endemic of the author not being able to address a different experience, or different experiences than their own- or even if they can, they cannot cover the wide variety of experience necerssary to the audience. In other words they can't possibly relate to you, because they don't know you.

So it comes back to what you intend to use the van for. Are you going to be upgrading to 37" tires and heading up the Rubicon trail? Are you going to be beach combing down 55 miles of North Padre Island in texas? How often will you drive in ice and snow? How much time will you spend on the highway, and how important is it that that time be quiet, comfortable and relaxing?

I think your best bet is to have a dialog with the people here- like why do you think you need the full floater? What did you tell Craig at S&K that he determined it was overkill? If we don't know you the advice is just % of who likes what.

I hope that makes sense!
Old 08-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage
Angel, I was not up and up on all the drive train details when my van was built. I have off roaded for years but had no idea what was needed for a 12000 lb van.
I purchased the full floater because of the weight on the rear axle and because it’s an EB. The fact that I pull a trailer also was a deciding factor. At about 4 grand you got to ask the question “do I really need this?” I also got rear air bags due to weight.
I figured that a locking front end is more important than lockers in the rear. With this installed in the front it tends to pull the van up over a hill, and in fact I have found this to be true. With the front locker turned off, the van tends to walk sideways climbing a loose steep upward grade; with it on it tracks straight. Obviously there are times the front locker needs to be off but for the most part it has helped greatly when off roading. Do you actually need lockers? Depends on where you plan to take the rig. I figured I didn’t need them in the rear as the limited slip would work for my applications. The van has a pull pal and winch. I figure it will be better than a rear locker due to some of the problems that air lockers have. I usually avoid deep mud or heavy sand plus I always have the ability to air down or use my winch if I get stuck. A person I know who has a 2 wheel drive SMB with the same top you ordered claims he can go everywhere a 4x4 can go using the winch/pull pal setup. Of course not having to chain up and having the ability to steer straight in conditions such as snow and mud makes four wheel drive a great advantage to have. I also utilize four wheel drive on rough roads during climbs to take some of the pressure off the rear axle and distribute the load more evenly. But like you said that’s just a couple of opinions.
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote