Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 05:08 PM   #1

Help with build on used sportsmobile

I would appreciate any comments from you folks that are familiar with Sportsmobile floor plans, provided your van looked like mine inside as shown in the pictures below, and you wanted to furnish it. Right now it is equipped with a small fridge, microwave, Danhard AC, PowerTech generator, 2000 Watt Tripp-lite inverter, and a small water tank. We will probably remove the third chair as shown for a cabinet of some sort. The walk through option seems like it might really be popular, but the RB 50 plan seems a very popular choice as well. One thing that we would we very much like to have would be a small closet. A cooktop and propane is not high on our want list, but for a resale standpoint, I'm thinking it is something that might be important to a lot of prospective buyers...I just don't know for sure. Thank you for any and all comments you provide.

James

James4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
If you want a closet, I'd suggest the walk-thru's are much easier to access than what I have to deal with in my EB-50. It can be difficult to open the type doors SMB uses from inside so the rear closet holds stuff I rarely use...backup clothing, jackets, fishing vest, tackle and things I don't mind having to grab from the rear doors. I also didn't order a stove when I designed my van but added one later. Whether or not it's a selling point might be debatable. I feel it's more of a luxury item because I try to cook outside as much as possible (I think a lot of owners do) but for heating coffee or steaming foods it's sure nice when it's crappy weather outside. You can always leave an area for a stove top to be added at a later date. I used velcro/felt padding to hold the butane stove box on top of the counter top and it worked OK for years. Even on the worst trails it never fell off.
What I like about my 50 is the rear bed area is used as storage. As a big guy I like how you get an open feeling at the center of the van. I just felt too cramped in the walk-thru models YMMV.
It's hard to say what model is best. It really depends on several factors but I'd venture to say a walk thru might be an easier sale because its more RV like. Could be wrong on that.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #3

daveb, thanks a lot for responding to my post. I like the idea of leaving a space available for a cooktop at this point in time, but might opt for putting one in due to the good points you mention. After rethinking the walk thru as opposed to the 50 plan, I'm thinking it is such a popular one for good reasons, one of which you mentioned having to do with its open aspect. With this in mind, the need for a better closet space as I see it becomes a bit more unimportant in the bigger picture. I like your note about the storage area too! Again, thanks a lot for the comments!!!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #4

50 vs walk through :

Walk through:
Swivel both front seats, couch running aft of the driver seat, so on couch looking out the side doors and hold the passenger side counter so it leaves 90 % of the 40 door clear. Lots of lounging space for six people.

Closets, etc are accessible regardless of weather.

For two or three adults , walk through is hard to beat. If kids are involved, then you are better in a 50 layout. Figure what 80 to 90% of your usage is going to be and go with a layout that suits that.

The shorter body makes things a bit more challenging but still do able.

Where are you located?
Old 05-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #5

1der, thanks for the comments. Since there is just the wife and I, we plan to use the vehicle very little each year. Our use would mainly be short trips to the beach or a lake area to camp and/or fish. We might take a couple of week long trips a year between 500 to 1000 miles and, hopefully, one of a longer duration down to Texas. Also, we would not get off road much, if at all. So, that said, it looks as if either plan would work well for us, and the walk-thru does look hard to beat too! Decisions, decisions!!!

We are located just south of Seattle.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #6

Our 89 has the walk through layout. It is very handy when we do day trips. Once we get to the Oregon coast my wife sits up fronting reads the paper while convert the dinette into a bed and take a nap. After lunch we switch positions. Very handy.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:46 PM   #7

I opted for the walk-through in my RB because I liked the idea of being able to access the under floor storage box from inside without having to go around back outside to open the rear doors (I put my cameras and computers down there to lock them up), and think that the couch looking out the side doors is better than looking past the front seats to the windshield beyond.

Personal preference, I reckon. Check out my layout in my photo album. With my counter space and windows, and the door galley that swings out or can be taken off, there is quite an open feel to the layout (IMHO).

Both types have their advantages... for your short trips, I could see the 50 style being just fine - maybe better since the bed configuration is roomier and more convenient than mine is. I think the storage is (in a way) better in the 50 layout rather than my walkththrough because you can accommodate bulkier things - all my storage is cabinets with smaller individual spaces. Lots of them, but individually smaller, and less able to handle things like grills, chairs, coolers, tables, water heater, etc. like you can fit in the space under the 50 bed.

Just my couple cents worth... Hope it is useful to ponder.
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:32 PM   #8

larrie and GrumpyBadger...many thanks to you guys for your comments. I might have to get a second opinion from some of may relatives and friends in order to help me settle this!

GrumpyBadger, I truly appreciate having the opportunity to view your van build, it's incredibly beautiful!
Old 05-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #9

Here's a link to a site that's for Sprinter DIY conversions (but is useful for additional ideas):

Sprinter RV — US-made Sprinter RV and RV conversion info

It has a few pics of custom layouts for more confusion in your deliberations. Also, the DIY sourcebook he sells has a ton more pictures of various visions of camper vans. A buddy of mine is doing his second Sprinter and is using that as one of his (many) resources.

If (when) I did mine over, I would rip out all the cabinets and keep it simpler for more flexibility. But that's me. Everyone has a different use intention and different vision.

Of course, someone on here said to me something to the effect that "It takes 3 or 4 tries before you have it perfect".
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote