Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to bgoetting
How much is Espar to add?

My SMB doesn't have propane. Peter Del Toro gave me a price on adding propane, which was over $4000. I'm wondering if anyone has just added an Espar diesel furnace, how well it works, and how much it cost including installation. Can this be done at any RV place since lots of RV's have Espar? SMB West is over 6 hour drive away and I have no other reason to go to Fresno.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
I cannot speak to the cost of adding it, but we are very happy with the function of our Espar Diesel furnace. We have used it half a dozen times now, twice with the temp around 30F, and it has always made things toasty.

There have been some comments about what could be maintenance related issues and about problems when dust and dirt goes in the intake.
A quick search should get you those other discussions.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #3

Garage
B,

You can put it in yourself but the fuel line is a real pain. There are a few Thermo-King locations in CA that are authorized installers, too. I don't know your route or how slow you drive, but Fresno is not more than 4 hours drive from here.

SMB can better deal with the installation in an SMB. If you plan to camp in the cold, it's worth it. You can also buy a heater on ebay (new) and pay SMB for the installation alone. Come on by and see mine.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #4

heater

this looks like the best way to go for heat in my case,i have a gas engine,but was thinking of going w/diesel model.i think i would feel safer burning it compared to gas.could add a 3 gal tank somewhere.does anyone have a gas model that can prove me wrong,would rather use the gas if it is a safe and proven system.spoke to people who sell them and no one ever sold the gas version,any leads to someone w/knowledge of these units.
zlivewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #5

Jeffrey,
From your previous posts I thought your Espar was causing you a lot of trouble. did you resolve those issues?

zlivewire: I too have a gas engine, no heat and was looking at the Espar until I read of Jeffrey's problems. I also was very interested in the Webasto Blue Heat but jeff@work has been having trouble at high altitude. Supposedly Webasto is coming out with a new version for hi/low altitude. But it is not out yet.

So in the meantime I just bought a Mr. Heater Buddy and will use that with a 20# propane tank on my rear bumper. I will see how it works and report back. But it too does not work over 7000 feet so it is just temporary until I hear otherwise on an Espar or Webasto.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to bgoetting
The problem with the Mr Heater Buddy and Coleman units is that there is no thermostat. My ProCat gives off 3000 BTU which turns the SMB into an oven in an hour. Then you turn it off and wake up freezing a few hours later. I don't mind the expense of 1 lb cannisters or even the hassle of bigger tanks but I'd like some temperature control.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #7

Garage
Even in temps in the low 20's, I never run my heater all night. I toast up the van, turn off the heater, and then slip into my down bag. I stay warm all night and then just press the heater button before I exit the bag in the morning. This entire event only occurs when my heater is working!

If you want heat all night, try turning the Buddy down to minimum and opening two windows.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage
I usually do the opposite as Jeffery does (no offence Jeff). I crank up the Espar on high a half hour before I hit the hay and before I actually crash I adjust the heat down to where it just keeps the cab cool rather than cold. Too bad it doesn’t have a digital thermometer. I prefer it to be around 50 to 55 and can usually keep it in that zone. On low it pulls very low power and fuel. I really like the unit while having to stay inside during inclement weather. Then I can do like Jeffery does in nice weather; put on the Bermuda shorts with my favorite Honolulu shirt, pull out the plastic palm and sip a tropical drink while watching re-runs of Hawaii 50

Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #9

Garage
Of course, Dave, that tropical drink must have a little paper umbrella in it, and be served to you by a scantily clad young lady.