Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
Site Team

I miss my SMB!

Our SMB has only been at SMB West for a week and a half, but I miss having it our front and driving it.
Three and a half weeks to go to get it back, if the schedule holds.

Herb

Old 06-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #2

I feel your pain. I'm about even on days-owned and days-at-dealership-for-stupid-engine-light-they-later-say-was-nothing.

What are you having done again?

I'm going getting work done at SMB Texas for two days. I need to figure out where to sleep!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #3

Garage
Herb, that's a lot of time. What all are they doing? Putting in an interior and lowering your seat count!?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Site Team

The estimate of four weeks is likely somewhat padded, but inserting a van for modification into their build schedule, probably isn't first priority and probably wrecks some havoc with their schedule which seems to be planned well into the future.

They're installing a galley module (fridge, sink, microwave), 12V system and house battery, 110V inverter and system, solar controller and 2 solar panels, air compressor system, modified rear bed platform (taller), and adding seat heaters to the front Captain's seats (makes long trips easier).

As for the number of seats, we're actually looking for a rear bench seat to replace the two rear Captain's seats. Sometime in the future, I'll post for sale, three quick-release gray and black leather Captain's seats (with a red embroidered SMB on them) when we get the SMB back. Two that get replaced with the bench seat (the Transformer bed platform locks into the bench seat mounts, not the Captain's seat mounts), and one that gets displaced by the Transformer galley module.

Herb
Old 06-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #5

That's a lot. I'm at 2 days for 2nd 4D AGM, Xantrex invertor, and Solar prewire.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Wow, too bad SMB Texas is that much further away for me. Sounds like their work schedule is a lot more accomodating. Good luck on the mods.

Herb
Old 06-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #7

I think they're accomidating that I'm on the road and because SMB Indiana wouldn't do any mods post build.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:52 AM   #8
Site Team

No post-build mods? That's interesting, comfusing and no doubt frustrating. Makes me wonder how they are at customizing during a build.

Herb
Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #9

Custom build at Indiana

We had our van built in Indiana with a custom floorplan. They were great to work with, and made suggestions to get around some issues (wheelwell interference with the furnace).

Their production schedule made it possible to build the van in 3 months instead of the 9 months CA wanted. So, even though we live in CA we bought from Indiana and flew out to visit family in Iowa while on the way to pick it up. After we got it home, we decided we wanted to change one of the cabinet doors from a one piece to a 2 piece door. They made the doors and shipped them to us - no charge!!!

A year later we stopped by and had some warranty work done. One of the guys stopped work on a new van and spent 1/2 the day working on our van. No questions asked. Great service.

They also made custom seat cushions for the dinette after the van was delivered. We wanted thinner cushions for more headroom. The price was right and they shipped them to us and they fit like we wanted.

I have nothing bad to say about the CA guys. They are also great to work with. It was just the long lead time that had us going to Indiana. And now I know the Indiana folks are even better to work with.

If I had to do it over, I would go back to Indiana for the customized service and support.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:16 AM   #10

Re: Custom build at Indiana

Ditto on SMB Indiana.
We had ours built there as it's close to home and have been back a couple of times [we're going again soon] for minor warranty work.
We try to let them know in advance that we're coming.
We've also been to SMB Texas for minor repairs.
Never California yet.
6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
:q6:
kenkillsr is offline   Reply With Quote