Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #1

I need your help in choosing a wheel

Hello Everyone……I have a been diligently scouring this forum for over a couple weeks now and I'm trying to figure out what my options would be for wheels.

I have a Stock 2004 E250 2WD with the oem 16x7 Steel Wheels / Hubcaps with no plans of lifting it. I primarily do all highway driving.

I would like to upgrade to nicer looking wheels and have narrowed it down to several. My problem is, I don't know if the offset & backspacing will work.

I am assuming that the oem steel wheels are a 0mm offset with a 4.5 backspacing but don't know for sure ??? I am trying to learn but I'm having a hard time when it comes to the different offsets & backspacing of a wheel. What would work....what won't work, etc?.

My brain is hurting from trying to figure all this out and this is where I need help in determining if I am even close…..

The wheels that I am looking at are all similar in appearance:

Eagle 186
16x8
8x6.5
Offset -5
BS 4.25
Load 3420 lbs

http://www.aewheel.com/eagle_alloy_w...d=1990&cat=472

-------------------

Eagle 058
16x8
8x6.5
Offset 11
BS 4.00
Load 3420 lbs

Eagle 058
16x7
8x6.5
Offset 8
BS 4.25
Load 3040 lbs

http://www.aewheel.com/eagle_alloy_w...d=1947&cat=472

------------------

AR Baja (AR's website only allows me to pick Superduty in it's drop down menu)
16x8
8x6.5
Offset 0
BS 4.5
Load 3100 lbs

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...20Super%20Duty

-------------------

AR 62 Outlaw II
16x8
8x6.5
Offset 0
BS 4.5
Load 3100 lbs

AR 62 Outlaw II
16x7
8x6.5
Offset -8
BS 3.69
Load 3200 lbs

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...20Super%20Duty

----------------

And of course, I love the Alcoa 167041 wheel but don't particularly love the price.
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...-167041-1.aspx

Would any of these work for me without using spacers and whatnot? I want to be safe out on the road and that is why I am asking for any suggestions or recommendations you may have.

Thanks a bunch ~Roxanne

RoxS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: I need your help in choosing a wheel

I would think that the most important thing is keeping at least the same amount of backspacing so that the wheel/tire does not rub on the suspension or steering and limit turning. The offset then would be a function of wheel width if the backspacing remained the same.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #3

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxS
I am assuming that the oem steel wheels are a 0mm offset with a 4.5 backspacing but don't know for sure ???
Just so you know the offset is +6mm on the oem wheels.
Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark
Quote:
I am assuming that the oem steel wheels are a 0mm offset with a 4.5 backspacing but don't know for sure ???
Just so you know the offset is +6mm on the oem wheels.
Cheers
Darryl
Thanks Darryl. Would you know if 4.5 is correct for the backspacing?
Old 03-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #5

Not sure where you are located, but there is a guy in York, Pa., that sells nice OEM Ford aluminum wheels with Michelin LTX e-range tires for around $1000 total. These are new take-offs from when Quigley converts vans. I got a set for my van and they are pretty nice. The tires alone are worth the $1000 price almost.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:02 AM   #6

I would recommend finding a good tire shop in your area to do business with. I puzzled over the same question for awhile, what would look good and be a good match for my van. I was afraid of mail ordering something and it not working out, then being stuck with return shipping on 4 large items etc. etc. I found a great local shop who gave me a decent price and offered a 100% satisfaction guarantee. He knew what he was talking about as far as offsets, backspacing and getting the right look and he was spot on the first time. Hope that helps.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Not sure where you are located, but there is a guy in York, Pa., that sells nice OEM Ford aluminum wheels with Michelin LTX e-range tires for around $1000 total. These are new take-offs from when Quigley converts vans. I got a set for my van and they are pretty nice. The tires alone are worth the $1000 price almost.

BrianW, I am located in Florida, but have family in Hershey, Pa which is next to York. I'm definitely interested in getting his name & number. I am planning a road trip to the northeast in late spring and could stop in to see what he has available in the 8x6.5 size. Thanks! ~Roxanne
Old 03-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I would recommend finding a good tire shop in your area to do business with. I puzzled over the same question for awhile, what would look good and be a good match for my van. I was afraid of mail ordering something and it not working out, then being stuck with return shipping on 4 large items etc. etc. I found a great local shop who gave me a decent price and offered a 100% satisfaction guarantee. He knew what he was talking about as far as offsets, backspacing and getting the right look and he was spot on the first time. Hope that helps.

86Scotty,
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. Ordering something and come to fine out it's wrong. It appears that my safest bet is finding a tire shop who is willing to help me. Thanks for your advice. It helped a bunch. ~Roxanne
Old 03-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW

BrianW, I am located in Florida, but have family in Hershey, Pa which is next to York. I'm definitely interested in getting his name & number. I am planning a road trip to the northeast in late spring and could stop in to see what he has available in the 8x6.5 size. Thanks! ~Roxanne
Here's his ad on CL: http://lancaster.craigslist.org/pts/4381538781.html

I think this is a different person than the guy I bought mine from two years ago, but is definitely the same scenario. Quigley is based in York, and they sell off the take-off parts via a vendor. The alloy wheels are really nice. I've been pleased with mine, and $1000 is a pretty good deal for OEM wheels and tires, all mounted and ready to roll.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #10

Glad to help. Just remember tire shops are everywhere. If you don't like the price or the salesman doesn't sound sure just walk!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote