Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #21

Re: Meet Sherman

What a beast. Enjoy!

Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #22

Sorry Dan, totally forgot this. Here's the pics you requested
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #23

Holy Moly that's nice!!!
shadzima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #24

Steve:

Thanks for the extra pics. As everybody says, your rig looks great.

On that third extra pic, it is interesting to see the slide pantry open but what I was really looking for was a look at the pantry(?) that hangs on the side door. If you get a chance to post another pic, can you take one from a seated position on the gaucho, looking toward the side doors when they are closed. I just wanted to get a sense of how much lower the top of the door pantry is than the regular countertops.

Dan
Old 12-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #25

Hi Steve -

Sherman sure is nice. Congrats!

I'm still fiddling with my potential layouts...when I saw yours all I could say was "Bingo!"

Now that some time has passed and you've had some time to soak it in...
Would you do anything differently if given the chance?
How has that bath worked out?

Sorry to pry, I'm just trying to get things right.
Thanks for your help!

- Uncle Scotty
UncleScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #26

We’re really enjoying Sherman. Camping is so simple and enjoyable. To that end one of the things that makes it simple is having enough storage space. I’ve seen other setups and I’m amazed at the amount of “stuff” that gets stowed in plain view. We have very little counter top space, but we cook very simple meals. This allowed us to have more storage. We’re still moving stuff around and trying different things. We have the large aluminess box on the back and the low profile Yakima box up top. I’ve sat in Sherman and tried to think of anything that we should have done differently and haven’t been able to come up with anything yet.

The shower/bathroom works great, BUT it’s a sit down shower only when positioned in the back of the van. There’s a vinyl padded “shelf” like area in the back of the roof (kind of like where the EB starts it’s extra length). Half of the shower pan is under this shorter roof area. I just sit on the toilet and shower. It takes a little to set up all the curtains, but it’s a small price to pay to be able to shower. We turn the toilet sideways and I’ve strapped it to the wall so it can’t tip over. Your feet are in the van hall way while you’re using it. I would not have liked the plumbed toilet being in the very back because your head would be banging into the ceiling “shelf” that I just spoke about. Being able to empty the toilet wherever and not worrying about frozen turds is very nice. The one change to the bathroom I wish I could make is getting rid of the half wall in the very back of the shower. This would make emptying the toilet out the rear a possibility. As it is I walk it out back wards to the side door. But the table top is also attached to this half wall and I don’t think it could go anywhere else. We haven’t used the table yet so maybe if we don’t have a use for it I could make this change in a couple of years. In Wisconsin we do have campgrounds that stay open in the winter, but most of them close their dumping stations.

I’m 5’10” 150# and my wife is 5’7” and very slender (can’t post her weight cause she’ll read this) so I think our small size is well suited for the van life.

Drop me line if you want to discuss more.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
Old 12-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #27

Saw something in one of your first pics that I'm curious about...
I saw a small fitting below the rear opening door on the passenger side along with a probably 6-10' maybe propane line in the door itself. Did you have an exterior propane line run to the outside? Was it just "T'd" off the main tank on the drivers side?

Thanks in advance! I'm trying to do something like that myself.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #28

It's an extra propane hookup. I asked SMB to have an extra hookup installed like this, but what happened is they installed the extend-a-stay hookup instead. The extendastay is BEFORE the regulator and can be used to hook up another tank if your on board one goes dry or I can hook up another stove or grill. I pointed this out when I picked it up so they just tapped into the line going up to the stove.

There's a catch now. My little grill and stove that I wanted to use outside have their own regulators and when I hook them up to this extra hook up there's not enough propane volume for them to work properly (double regulated so to speak). They work fine when I hook them up to the extend a stay fitting. I had a grill that worked great when I hooked it up to the extra hookup, but it was made for RVs and it expected to be hooked up after the camper regulator.

But so far we've been using the green propane bottles when in camp and it's working out great. in fact it allows us to move it further from Sherman. I may just remove this extra connection because we really haven't found a good use for it yet. The extend a stay comes with a long enough hose to throw under Sherman and be able to set up a table to grill/cook by the side door if we really want to.

Toyo LT285/70 R17
Old 12-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #29

Steve:

Thanks for talking to me before my build about your experience with this feature. SMB installed mine exactly as I had hoped and it seems to work fine. The Sturgi-flow kit is installed upstream of the regulator in the van and the hose runs underneath the van to that location low on the passenger side. My trusty old Coleman stove with its own regulator works just fine when I attach it there. I don't have enough experience yet but expect that it is a feature that I will use frequently.

I don't know if that Sturgi-flow kit would also allow me to use external propane tanks to feed the van's systems and I don't plan on even trying. When my onboard propane runs low I'll plan on using green bottles to feed the camp stove until I can refill the big tank.

Dan