Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #21

Re: My build at SMB North

Ford has a keypad that works like the handheld remote. I (and several others) have them on our vans to prevent lockouts. In fact, when hiking or swimming I usually leave my keys in the van and use the keypad for entry.

See the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1165&start=60

The remote keypad PN is there.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #22

Great looking van, congrats!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #23

Looks fantastic, Dan! The interior layout looks great. Just aft of the fridge...is that a clothes closet? And behind that is a slide-out pantry?

How usable is the space inside the galley cabinets and drawers? Just thinking out loud here...to me, that's where the 50 floorplan is lacking: galley space, but has lots of closet/clothing storage. Hmm...more confusion!

Love all of that counter space though...I think you've got more usable kitchen surfaces than I do in my house!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #24

Looks great! There's something familiar about the interior but I can't put my finger on it.

Now get out there and enjoy it.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #25

Really nice build! The interior looks very high-end and nicely finished.

Van envy! All these build threads are making me covet a new, built to order SMB
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #26

Friday was another wonderful day. I had camped at Salamonie State Park near Huntington, which I can recommend to anybody else picking up at SMB North. Of course in November I had the place to myself. I got rolling away before dawn. I was on quiet, misty Indiana country roads passing farm fields and trees in their very last stages before winter. And graveyards. Very beautiful in the dawn mist.

First it was up to Ft Wayne to pick up the winter tires and wheels that I had ordered just in case I ran into snow on this trip. Thankfully I won’t need them right now so they just got loaded into the van.

Then it was back to SMB North for a round of small fixes and questions. The guys were nice enough to drain my water system. I watched and took notes. Since I don’t have a heated garage it’s going to have to stay like that until spring.

They got me on the road by early afternoon and I spent Friday night in another empty state park, this time in Illinois.

Overall my impressions of the whole build and pickup process are extremely positive.

Mike: Thanks for the keypad idea. I could obviously use it.

lndshark: Yes, Closet then Slide Pantry. Hard to say yet how well designed the storage space is. All the equipment that I have at the moment is what I could put in an airline checked suitcase. I tried to do a mix of small and medium spaces. The only truly big space that I have is the closet. I usually won’t even have all of that available because that’s where the porta-potti goes and that’s been a very handy thing while boondocking.

Steve: Yes, it does look a lot like yours, doesn’t it? Thanks for all of the useful input. BTW, I can reach the sink while sitting on the Gaucho and can see that I will do that a lot.

Thanks everybody! We’ll see you out there.