Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 05:10 PM   #11

We did our deposit mid-October. Had been working with Paul since about April, but we foolishly waited until after renting a Promaster from Campervannorthamerica in September to make our final decision. We're wishing now we had put in our deposit a lot earlier!

I really love the couch/dinette set in your van. I wish I could copy that, but we only have room for a 30" couch in front of our wider bed and wet bath. I love your bathroom design, but I wanted to keep the passenger side clear of high cabinets for better visibility.

ang9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang9 View Post
We did our deposit mid-October. Had been working with Paul since about April, but we foolishly waited until after renting a Promaster from Campervannorthamerica in September to make our final decision. We're wishing now we had put in our deposit a lot earlier!

I really love the couch/dinette set in your van. I wish I could copy that, but we only have room for a 30" couch in front of our wider bed and wet bath. I love your bathroom design, but I wanted to keep the passenger side clear of high cabinets for better visibility.
Yes, I like that yours will feel more open on the passenger side and probably more glass at the rear. Probably because of our 25 years in Class C's, we wanted a separate full-time (if narrow) bed for 2 apart from the living-eating space. And we wanted a dry bath with a stall shower and separate sink. Fortunately we are small people so we are compromising with a 42" wide rear bed and a removable portapotti in a very compact bath that can include some private aisle space for drying off and using the sink when we position the trifold door appropriately, but can still have more open aisle space for general use with the trifold closed.
With the 136"WB it seems compromise is inevitable, but it sure parks, turns and handles nicely!
Away2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #13

"it sure parks, turns and handles nicely!"

It sure does! We had been intending to order the 159" wheelbase, but the one we rented was 136" and we fell in love with the handling. Parking was a breeze and we once did an easy U-turn on a narrow 2-lane road at the Grand Canyon North Rim. It was hard to give up the space, but I think we won't regret it (usually).
ang9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #14

Thank you for coming over and posting. Although your plan would not work for me and my wife because crawling over one another to get in and out of bed is not something we can do anymore.It sstill provides another fine example of the o poo tions that can be achieved if willing to try. Also, the proximity of the potti to the bed could also cause some friction with us. May I impose on you one more time and ask that you consider joining the class b Facebook group to share your great van with the many members there. We get many who are looking for their first van or something different. You can always unjoin later. Thanks again for taking the time to help others with your experience.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #15

Yes, seems there are always compromises to maximizing space utilization--have to pick the ones you can live with. I guess all our years in a Class C cabover bed have made it acceptable--at least we don't have to climb a ladder for this one! I like to help spread the ideas but sorry, not personally comfortable on Facebook ("unjoining" never seems as easy as one might wish). Perhaps you can direct interested friends here. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #16

I thoroughly understand. I will provide a link to this thread if that is Ok with you.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #17

Yes, fine with me, thanks.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #18

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Away2Go View Post
Yes, fine with me, thanks.
Greetings and as an FYI, I arrived at your thread through the FB link : )
Looks like SMB did a great job on the build!

Best wishes on the adventure.
Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:36 PM   #19

Thanks. Glad to see the link up and working.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:30 PM   #20

Congrats on your new unit, that's a remarkable level of functionality for a unit less than 18 ft long! And thank you for the detailed write-up.

We'll look forward to hearing more about your extended ownership experiences with the Promaster. I expect we'll be seeing a lot more Promaster and Transit builds in the next few years out of SMB Texas.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote