Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Site Team

New mods

Here are some pics of the new mods I had done.

Galley module from SMB's Transformer model.

Galley microwave

Rear bed platform

Marine solar panels

Solar panel mounting

Blue Sky controller

Backup camera

All in all things went pretty well. I was quite disappointed in some of the communication however. After keeping my van longer than I was told it would take, I made some last minute plans to come up when I was told it would be ready. On Tuesday of that week, I specifically asked if everything was done. I was told yes. That Friday when I arrived, they were still scrambling to get a few things done (OK, one was a potential problem that they identified and were trying to fix), and then I was told for the first time, that since the Extreme Air compressor was backordered, they didn't install it and do any of the prep work for the compressor and air lines. I was kinda ticked off.

I really love the solar panels and controller. Nothing like having up to 5Amps (midday) keeping things charged. They mounted the solar panels to some aluminum crossbars attached to the Yakima mounting rails. This is a great way to do it, since it allows air to flow underneath the panels keeping them cool and therefore more efficeint. I believe they used to glue the panels down onto the penthouse roof.

Herb

Old 08-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #2

Garage
Nice looking setup. That galley is amazingly compact with everything you need. Too bad about the compressor, but that can be done closer to home. You can use my installation as a guide, if you like. Doesn't look that hard to do.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:24 PM   #3

Where is the backup camera pointing? Where is it mounted, inside the rear doors?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #4
Site Team

Jage,

Sorry, I meant to repond to your post about backup cameras. The backup camera points rearward, but due to it's height, is most useful only as a backup or parking camera, not for hitching up a trailer. I also have a cheapie camera mounted to my bumper, that with the slight downward angle of my rear Aluminess bumper, makes hitching up very easy. I got this camera for $89 at Costco a while back. I've seen it advertised for up to $149 elsewhere. All it needs is power (I coupled into the 12V for the license plate light), and it transmits the video wirelessly to a small screen. It does get some interference, but it does it's job.

The rear door mounted camera displays on my in dash stereo/navigation display. Rob Rodanovich (SMB's A/V guy) asked if I wanted it setup to be able to display while driving, but I said no. Didn't feel I'd ever use it in that configuration.

Herb
Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #5

hi, i like that compact counter.
what is the height of the counter?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb4me
hi, i like that compact counter.
what is the height of the counter?
Roughly 33". The Transformer galley module contains a sink, 6 (I think) gallon fresh water tank, small Norcold fridge and a small microwave. The module does not have storage. One cabinet door hides the inverter, one provides access to plumbing, and the other provides access to the water pump. There is no water heater, but I'd think that a small electric instant hot water heater could be added somewhere. Also, there is no grey water tank installed, you have to use a bucket.

Herb
Old 08-15-2007, 05:31 AM   #7

herb
thx.
very beautiful van you got there.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #8

Captain seats

Herb,

Nice pictures and setup.

How many captain seats do you have in your setup? From the first picture it looks like you have a second row single and the picture from the rear seems to show a third row pair of captain chairs as well? How does that work for you?

We are looking at a second row of double captain chairs so we have 4 chairs that we can rotate around a portable table.

We have been told that the second row won't rotate but I still think it may work for us since our young kids don't really sit in their chairs:-) We are slightly modifying the EB-52.

Yes, we know that it will take out a lot of cabinet space but we like to play games, cards etc.

Thanks again for your pictures.

-Mark

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
Site Team

Re: Captain seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitburger
Herb,

Nice pictures and setup.

How many captain seats do you have in your setup? From the first picture it looks like you have a second row single and the picture from the rear seems to show a third row pair of captain chairs as well? How does that work for you?

We are looking at a second row of double captain chairs so we have 4 chairs that we can rotate around a portable table.

We have been told that the second row won't rotate but I still think it may work for us since our young kids don't really sit in their chairs:-) We are slightly modifying the EB-52.

Yes, we know that it will take out a lot of cabinet space but we like to play games, cards etc.

Thanks again for your pictures.

-Mark
Mark,

We have a third row of Captain's seats, and the rear bed platform can come out and be replaced with a bench seat.

I can make you a good deal on some slightly used Captain's seats (leather, same color pattern as in photos). The previous configuration had two additional Captain's seats that could replace the rear bed platform. We also removed one Captain's seat where the galley module is now located. So, we have three leather Captain's seats that we want to sell. Just haven't gotten around to taking them out of storage to take pics and post them for sale here. Haven't even thought about asking price yet either.

I don't know what new Captain's seats cost, but I'm guessing you could buy these and have them recovered in your choise of material (if you wanted) for less than the price of new. These Captain's seat have the "male" bracket that then mates to a female quick release bracket. I do NOT have the female brackets, though I have found them online. These Captain's seats do have the ability to swivel, but I guess that depends on the clearance situation of where they are mounted.

Herb
Old 01-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #10

Transformer conversion

You have nearly the exact setup I will be doing when the right used van comes along. Can I ask what the transformer portion of the conversion cost was if you don't mind?
Thanks,
Chris
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote