Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #11

Re: New SMB! How does your aluminess rack brackets fit penth

Called Aluminess and they said that it wasn't the correct rack build for that penthouse top and they assured me that it would be corrected.

Called Nancy at SMB and she said she'd talk to Aluminess. She then called me back and explained it all.

SMB west uses a different penthouse than SMB North & Texas. There was a disconnect somehow. I don't want to point any fingers or blame, but just want to know how it will be fixed. (We all make mistakes, I know I do)

So... Nancy assured me that between SMB & Aluminess I'd have a rack rebuilt for the correct penthouse. They'll measure for the current holes in the penthouse and reuse them. If not they'll replace the penthouse.

I'll have a 6 hour drive one way to return to SMB to get the new rack installed and not sure if I'll have to pony up for gas, but I feel that the customer service for both SMB and Aluminess will make every thing right.

Now's the time to see if Aluminess will give me a great deal on a driver's side ladder so I can join the 2 ladder club.

I'm bummed, but at the same time relieved.

Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #12

Good deal. I hate stuff like this. I am sure Aluminess will make it right and sounds like SMB is taking care of it. Nancy at SMB has been helpful to me and the guys at Aluminess have gone above and beyond for me - they shipped me a bumper which was packed incorrectly and was damaged in transit. They shipped it back and sent me a replacement.

Glad they will do the right thing with the holes too.

This is the first I've heard about different PH shapes between SMB locations. Very interesting.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MacFam
...So... Nancy assured me that between SMB & Aluminess I'd have a rack rebuilt for the correct penthouse. They'll measure for the current holes in the penthouse and reuse them. If not they'll replace the penthouse...
Like you mentioned, everyone makes mistakes, but it's how they remedy the situation that differentiates the good companies from the bad ones. Sounds like SMB-N & Aluminess are not only going to take care of it, but take care of it correctly without half-assing it.

That's one reason I try more and more not to let price alone be the determining factor in where I buy things from.

I do think you need to ask SMB-N how the van could have left the shop like that. Installing the wrong part is one thing, but clearly no one but the installer (who should have been the first to catch the error) laid eyes on it after the wrong part was installed.

Herb
Old 06-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Man, that is hard to believe they installed that. I knew they used different tops back there but I can't understand how they let that slide. My guess is they don't do a lot of those racks. I've noticed all the shops have issues with new stuff from time to time but will admit that one takes the cake. Sorry you're out the time... SMB has always been good to me to make up for issues that have come up.

[edit] when they put the right rack on, make sure the top sits inside the gutter or on the tape. SMB might have to slightly bend the tabs in or out. Also make sure all the little plastic black caps inside the top are on and secure. If any of them come off the canvas type material will bellow while driving and rub a hole in itself.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #15

This is a hard to believe story. The worker should never take a wrench at hand
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #16

This is an example of why I decided to go with SMB West for my second SMB even though I live on the other side of the country. They have more experience using these types of products. I did have some issues with my first build at SMB North that required a few trips back for repairs; day long trips, lots of $ in fuel and days off work. Hoping to have better luck this time.

There is no excuse for your van leaving in that condition.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Can be a catch 22 situation with shops. One might have more experience with specific products but because of employee turnover you might get somebody who is learning on the job doing your vehicle as compared to the other shop with fewer employees who can take the time to do it correctly, has been doing the same job for years and get it right provided they stick to the designs they're used to.
Every shop worker sits back and scratches his head from time to time when new products come in. I expected this with my build.

Who knows, maybe this was one of those days when everybody was off except that over zealous young newbie who shouldn't have tackled this job in the first place. Then again it could be a total FU. I had to help SMB install my Blue Sea Automatic Charge Relay when I purchased this thing... something SMB had never installed or had seen before. I wish I had a thousand bucks for every brain fart I've had at work... I'd be richer and so would my company for not having to make the repairs from the damage I've done

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #18

The guys at Aluminess are making another rack, it's in production now. I'll then be heading back to SMB North to get the racks swapped out. Both Aluminess and SMB have been working hard to get it fixed and done correctly. Glad I'm working with companies willing to take responsibility and stand behind their products.
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MacFam
The guys at Aluminess are making another rack, it's in production now. I'll then be heading back to SMB North to get the racks swapped out. Both Aluminess and SMB have been working hard to get it fixed and done correctly. Glad I'm working with companies willing to take responsibility and stand behind their products.
I had this exact same issue about 6 months ago. I bought a used 2008 built at SMB TX, ordered a custom full length rack after I picked up the van and they said they have a penthouse top onsight and build them from it.

When I received the rack it looked just like that. Except I told them BEFORE I drilled and installed it. I took a rubber mallet and bent the mounting tabs out like that and sent them pics of what it would look like installed and that I wasn't satisfied.

Ultimately Aluminess realized they were different top molds used, like the OP states, and made it right. They built and shipped a new rack and I shipped them back the old one at their expense.

The only pain for me was the wait and some scratches I created when trying to jam the wrong rack on the top when they reiterated that it would fit.

Weird thing is Aluminess QC didn't catch it again after just dealing with the issue just a few months earlier.
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #20

I sent you a email.thanks..
bill1929 is offline   Reply With Quote