Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #1

North Shore Bike Racks?

Has anyone used this bike rack with all the Aluminess bumpers and boxs set up? Will the arms of the tire rack and box be able to swing out when the bike rack is in its reclined position?
http://www.northshoreracks.com
I wrote a quick email to the company and this is the only info they have provided me about any sort of messurements.
" The angle of the main upright when folded back is 30 degrees from horizontal (actually slightly less due to sag in the hitch interface). This angle starts 12” behind the hitch pin hole with the rack in the rearmost position on the hitch tube."
I was going to try and do some math and a rough mock up of what they have just to see if it would work. Does anyone have any info on these racks?
Thank you
TraceyAZ

Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #2

Re: North Shore Bike Racks?

I think the design goal with these is to allow bikes to be loaded and unloaded quickly for shuttle[1] use. If that's what you're looking for, then they may be work a good look. If you don't even know what that means, then they may still be a good rack, but you're not the target market.

I'm casually in the market for a hitch mounted rack for the van (I'll get more serious when the snow melts in the spring). I don't hate the thing, but it seems slightly expensive (perhaps well made, didn't spend the time to figure that out), but it trades ease of loading and unloading for wear on the bike, which I'm not a fan of. -- FWIW, I've learned to be OK with nicks and dings on the cars, but I'm a bit fanatical about my bikes, so you're likely to care less.

[1] Ride downhill and have someone drive you back up the hill in their car. -- If I had the balls to downhill
like those guys do, I'd call them on their cheating and suggest that they are missing out on the best
part, but really, I can't afford the medical bills.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience
I think the design goal with these is to allow bikes to be loaded and unloaded quickly for shuttle[1] use. If that's what you're looking for, then they may be work a good look. If you don't even know what that means, then they may still be a good rack, but you're not the target market.

I'm casually in the market for a hitch mounted rack for the van (I'll get more serious when the snow melts in the spring). I don't hate the thing, but it seems slightly expensive (perhaps well made, didn't spend the time to figure that out), but it trades ease of loading and unloading for wear on the bike, which I'm not a fan of. -- FWIW, I've learned to be OK with nicks and dings on the cars, but I'm a bit fanatical about my bikes, so you're likely to care less.

[1] Ride downhill and have someone drive you back up the hill in their car. -- If I had the balls to downhill
like those guys do, I'd call them on their cheating and suggest that they are missing out on the best
part, but really, I can't afford the medical bills.

The racks are ment for more than just shuttle rides back up a hill, they are also used for more than just DH bikes. About the only bikes they dont work for is a road bike because of how narrow the forks are. Won't effect me, not into road bikes. Casual cross country, rides with my kids and friends and from time to time I get some very fun DH runs in on my DH bike.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyAZ
About the only bikes they dont work for is a road bike because of how narrow the forks are.
OK, we're representing different end of the spectrum. I spend real time on road bikes 3-5 times a week. Mountain bikes are a bit of a novelty to me.

I'm still working though breathing exercises to get myself comfortable with the idea of a bike being attached to the outside of a vehicle. Anything other than a fork mount is suspect.

OP: If you're not concerned with road bikes, ignore my voice here.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #5

Garage

thanks for the link man. gives me some good ideas for the rack we will be building for our van!

this setup may not be solely for dh shuttles, but it sure is a perfect design for it.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #6

@ MadScience, I came here asking about a specific application of this rack and our vans, even by your own words you said you were unfamiliar with these racks. Im not here to discuss MB vs. RB or why one is better or not or even who is missing what.
I did read and I have spoken with the makers of this rack, I do know that it is limited to what kind of bikes it will hold and not hold. Im a family of 4 plus the dog so my bikes ride outside the van and Im looking for someone who might have some experience with this particular rack.

Im glad you enjoy cycling in any form and it sounds like your serious about it, I have some great friends who live and breath RB, even competing regularly. They use these special cases and there bikes ride in there cars, so I can understand where your coming from for protecting your investments.
There is a bike meant for everyone in this world.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Has anyone used this bike rack with all the Aluminess bumpers and boxs set up? Will the arms of the tire rack and box be able to swing out when the bike rack is in its reclined position?
I think this photo (from their site) makes it clear that the tire rack, box, and rear doors would be accessible when the rack is reclined.

The other question is will the rack fit when everything is buttoned up. Looks like it might from this photo (again, from their site), but not sure.

Would the front wheels clear the spare? Would the lower bar on the rack clear the box?

DISCLAIMER: Although I live on the North Shore (North Vancouver, BC) and I see these racks frequently, I have never used one nor do I have any affiliation with the company.

Cheers,
Brent
Attached Thumbnails
full 4biker13.jpg   full 6biker8.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
Quote:
I think this photo (from their site) makes it clear that the tire rack, box, and rear doors would be accessible when the rack is reclined.

The other question is will the rack fit when everything is buttoned up. Looks like it might from this photo (again, from their site), but not sure.

Would the front wheels clear the spare? Would the lower bar on the rack clear the box?

DISCLAIMER: Although I live on the North Shore (North Vancouver, BC) and I see these racks frequently, I have never used one nor do I have any affiliation with the company.

Cheers,
Brent

I saw these photos as well, it does look like it should work. It would be close but how close that is the real question, it does seem like acording to some other photos that you might be able to pick a couple different stopping points for when the bikes are in there ready to transport position?
Thanks Brent for the input.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:
I wrote a quick email to the company and this is the only info they have provided me about any sort of messurements.
" The angle of the main upright when folded back is 30 degrees from horizontal (actually slightly less due to sag in the hitch interface). This angle starts 12” behind the hitch pin hole with the rack in the rearmost position on the hitch tube."
I was going to try and do some math and a rough mock up of what they have just to see if it would work. Does anyone have any info on these racks?
Thank you
TraceyAZ
I regularly need to carry 4 MTBs and took a close look at the North Shore rack.

My concern is the same as yours, being able to easily access the back of the van and open the doors while the bikes are on the rack.

In the end, I passed on the North Shore design because it looked like having to hoist the rack loaded with 4 bikes back up into the locked position for driving was going to be a PITA.

Instead I went with the Thule T2 and added the 2 bike extension kit. To make it all fit behind the van and still be able to open the spare, aluminess box and both doors, I added a hitch extender that is about 18-24 inches long. This setup has worked quite well for me for more than a year of hard use.

R
Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Quote:
Thank you
TraceyAZ
I regularly need to carry 4 MTBs and took a close look at the North Shore rack.

My concern is the same as yours, being able to easily access the back of the van and open the doors while the bikes are on the rack.

In the end, I passed on the North Shore design because it looked like having to hoist the rack loaded with 4 bikes back up into the locked position for driving was going to be a PITA.

Instead I went with the Thule T2 and added the 2 bike extension kit. To make it all fit behind the van and still be able to open the spare, aluminess box and both doors, I added a hitch extender that is about 18-24 inches long. This setup has worked quite well for me for more than a year of hard use.

R
I had to use a hitch extender in order to use the Yakima Holdup hitch rack to get past the spare. Even though I could tilt it back to open the doors I hated having to dance around it and even sprained my knee once. If I was going to go that route again I would look at one of the ones that still swing-away without having to take the front tire off.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote