Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #1

Out of state delivery of vehicle

SMB Fresno is going to deliver my van to Vegas (using one of their drivers). Cost is around $500. What is an appropriate tip for the driver? Sorry it's just a couple of weeks too late for the Valley of Fire outing.....

9pb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

Re: Out of state delivery of vehicle

We took delivery of our van in Vegas twice - once for the bare cargo van, which was delivered by the dealer from San Diego and again from SMB West when the conversion was finished. Call us cheap but at $500 (which all goes to the driver) it did not occur to us that a tip was required also. We took the San Diego driver to lunch and dropped him off at the airport. With the SMB driver there were last minute return travel complications that could have been avoided with a little better advance planning on his part, so we were not in a tipping mood.

Now you've laid a big guilt trip on us. Did we do wrong?
2009 Sprinter RB custom floorplan began conversion at SMB West in August 2010, delivered December 20, 2010. Diesel furnace/water heater (Espar D5), gaucho, porta potti, exterior shower, sink, fridge, micro, vent fan, cargo storage in rear.
durangatangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #3

Tipping has always been a challenge for me. Maybe depends on if the driver is just a driver or the owner/operator of the transport biz, and if the vehicle arrives in good condition and on time? Good to have a forum where folks don't hesitate to provide their experiences and opinions.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #4

Out of state delivery of vehicle

In my case we were surprised when the driver informed us that we owed him more money on top of what we had paid SMB West for delivery. Let's just say that wasn't a welcome surprise.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
In my case we were surprised when the driver informed us that we owed him more money on top of what we had paid SMB West for delivery. Let's just say that wasn't a welcome surprise.
I'd wave the BS flag on that guy, but then again, he's got your van. Mayhbe the same driver/company that delivered Jage's SMB after some work at SMBw.

Herb
Old 10-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #6

I asked my SMB guy about any extra charges I might expect. He says nothing. They normally give you your vehicle with a full tank at delivery and the driver will use that to get the van to Vegas.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Site Team

As for you original question about a tip, I'm not sure. These days, it seems everyone expects a tip. Personally, I can't stand a tip jar on a counter. You want a tip, come take my order and deliver it to my table.

When I thought I was going to be moving, I did some research on moving expenses, and the "guidance" for tipping the movers was all over the map.

For a $500 vehicle delivery, I couldn't see more than $50, and only if delivered on time with no damage.

Herb