Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #11

Appreciate all the replies, we are definitely doing the power roof option with the raptor lining.I like the idea of adding solar wiring for possibly an addition down the road.And still undecided on the rack.
Mountainbikeroamer thanks for the clarification on the Brake light,I will now wait till the top is on before figuring out a camera setup.
Also hadn't thought about the bed option, but considering we have the walk through setup we will probably go for the single setup especially if it is able to be hung from the roof till it is needed.
Roger

Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #12

Garage
EmMay and Mikracer, thanks for the clarification on the bed options. I'm guessing that what I saw was a one-piece bed that had already been lowered in the back. Makes sense.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:42 PM   #13

I had SMB West add 2 more lights, one on ea side, at the rear of the PH top. I noticed that if you have a flat tire and open the rear doors the doors block the Ford tail/brake/emergency lights. Not a good thing on a dark night. Also, the added lights provide more lights to warn drivers behind you when stopping or turning.
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #14
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
3 words Colorado...Camper....Van
Insulated double wall coated canvas, insulated lighter weight (than SMB) fiberglass top, full zips on screen, plexi windows and insulated shades, LED lights, electric lift, larger bed, more head room, storage(or in our case sleeping quarters for the little guy)above the cab, 2 different height tops, mid and high....ok a few more than 3 words, but you get the idea.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #15

Any suggestions on the Aluminess roof rack, am thinking about putting the aluminum sheet down on the base so that it is useable as an area to sit on the PH roof top.Anyone have any experience with using that as a seating area.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:07 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage
I've seen a couple builds designed to walk on. Just be aware of the total weight to lift the top. The Aluminess rack is light but once you start adding things the weight might become a factor in snowy conditions. I went with slats and slightly smaller tubing to keep it as light as possible but have LED lights all around and 2 heavy glass solar panels up top.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #17

daveb I was told by the guys at SMB that the top can handle 500 pounds when down and about 150 extended.Have been trying to find the weights of the racks themselves to make a better decision.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
daveb I was told by the guys at SMB that the top can handle 500 pounds when down and about 150 extended.
Look at the full SMB site on the computer. I recall that SMB sets a 200 lbs. limit on the penthouse lifting mechanism and that it is referenced there.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:14 AM   #19
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowby View Post
daveb I was told by the guys at SMB that the top can handle 500 pounds when down and about 150 extended.Have been trying to find the weights of the racks themselves to make a better decision.
Maybe the new vehicles are rated for that... I don't know. Mine is 200 lbs. I'd make sure by calling them. I was at Fresno and saw about 10 people standing on top of a Ford vans pop top (obviously when it was down) for a promo shot. I was just saying that my solar panels, Aluminess rack, Lighting and Yakima pod adds up in weight and I'd hate the top to come crashing down if snow pushed it past its designed lifted holding weight. I always use corner stands for safety and try to push off most of the snow before lowering it.
I was surprised how light the rack for my van was but I had them build it with smaller tubing to help reduce weight.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Two things I wish I had on my top... bug screens that zip out if damaged and a window/screen in the back like the front has. The photograph model top allows the front screens to be opened to shoot out of but on mine, but not the back two. I sleep with my head toward the back and I wish those windows screen would open.
I just push my PH bed to the front of the van and sleep with my head toward the front screen.