Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #1

Penthouse Glue Issue

The corner of the top is coming up. Attached a picture hopefully it will show in this post. Anyone have this problem and what did they do about it? Sportsmobile is only five years old so I can probably get them to fix it under warranty but I won’t be up in that area for a bit. I got to figure out a sort short term solution to make sure I don’t get water in it.
Attached Thumbnails
03E050BF-BB29-4700-A9D2-ECB923E83018.jpg  

Fremebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:21 PM   #2

That glue (black goop) is butyl tape. It comes in a roll and is squashed down between the canvas, furring strips and van roof. The furring strips are thin strips of wood (think of a wooden ruler) that are run along the edges of your PH top holding the canvas down to the metal with screws. I'm thinking you hav lost some screws and possibly have some rot in the furring strips if you have that much of a separation.

You can pull the upholstery back out of the way pretty easily to inspect all the way around your top. It is just spray glued down, easy to stick back in place.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:46 PM   #3

Thanks I will inspect it to see if I can find areas missing screws and gain a better understanding of the parts you spoke about.

From your message it sounds like something that is relatively easy to fix and I may be able to repair myself. At the least I would like to be able to do a short term repair and then take it to SportsMobile in March when back in that area.
Fremebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #4

Glad to help.

I just noticed something. Looks from your avatar like you have a Sprinter SMB? I have not seen a Sprinter PH up close. I am not sure if Sportsmobile does those tops like they do the older Fords and Chevy's which I was speaking of. I bet they are the same but I am not sure. Someone here can probably answer that.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote