Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #1

Penthouse roof coating

I just coated the top of my penthouse roof. I noticed it had cracking in the gel coat, so I figured I would coat it. I found this product CHIRIENTERPRISE Roof it-RV'S. It went on real nice. Sanded the top with a 60 grit sanding sponge. Cleaned/ wipped off. Applied thinned out first coat (as per instructions), then applied two full coats. Seems to of bonded very well. Hardens to a nice smooth protective shell. It took half a gallon, leaving me half for the future.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Penthouse roof coating

Nice straight edges (at least from this distance) on your paint job.

The white top might give you a cooler ride too, though now you'll look like a very large CHP van in my rearview mirror.

Herb
Old 08-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #3

Amazing what tape can do for you. I used the detail in the roof as a good transition. White was my only color choice, as I was trying to reduce heat. I definately think people will mistake it for CHP on the freeway. My wife likes the idea of adding more white and turning it into the Land Orca. For $150 bucks and a day of my time, I think it turned out well. Headed off future problems while adding impact resistance, sealing, reducing temps.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Did you remove the roof rails, or just paint around them?

BTW, I love the name Land Orca. You could always go with a vinyl wrap for the white orca markings.

Herb
Old 08-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #5

I just painted around the rails. I did not notice any cracks running into/under them, and they were very secure. Why open a can of worms. I can hit them in the future if I have to take them off.

I dont mind Land Orca. If I could just get "WYLAND" to come paint the Orca theme.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #6

Looks good.

check out the paints listed on the excel file here.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=r ... f_products

They are rated by both emissivity and reflectivity. All white paints are not equal. A couple of brands are available at lowes and home depot. Water based. Easy application and cleanup.

They are called elastomeric paints. They are flexible and fill gaps very well. great for an old penthouse roof.

I ended up spraying rust converter (just in case) in the gutters (the had small cracks where the caulk had shrunk slightly) and then removing the rubber gasket and painting all the way down to the gutters. It sealed the cracks and you can't see it from the street.

Two coats, no sanding. Looks pretty good. Easy touch up.

I think it was $25/gallon. I've used it on the flat roof on my house also.

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #7

In my research I came across a lot of elastomeric type coatings/ paint. These were cheaper but would not have the long term fix or properties I was looking for. I was looking for more of a Line-x coating. Most of these would fade, had issues as far as mixing, had to use a certain primer, and the issues of something sticking to it in the future.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #8

We must have looked at different stuff. White hasn't faded. No mixing issues; just shake and stir. No primer involved. Not Line-x but it is working well on my SMB, pop-up, and roof. Time will tell. Anyway, yours does look good.

Tom
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #9

Sorry about that. I should of been more clear. The elastomeric paints I researched did not have primers of mixing issues. They were straight forward paint on application. They just did not have the durability, reinforcement properties I was looking for. The line-x, bed liner type coating wich did have the properties I was looking for ended up having the mixing, primer, recoating, and fading issues. SMB West said they use a water based coating on there stuff nowadays. I forgot the name and figured I would run across it in my searches (dont believe I did). I must say this coating has cooled the top tremendously. It is the heat of the day and the top is cool to the touch. Black was scolding. First impressions are super. We will see with time. Thanks for the compliments!

Side note: I try to put up this info on products so that others can make an educated decision on what to use. Not being able to see first hand all the diferent products and there track records, one must take the plunge and try one. Info may seem generic, but hope it helps someone else in the future when it is decision time for them.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #10

Thanks for the write up smbdad. I bookmarked your post. My van is a 2001 also and the top is in need of a re-coat soon. I'll probably follow in your footsteps.

tom.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote