Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
We live a little East of Justin in the Columbia River Gorge and we pretty much get all the rain. We've had no problems with our pop top whatsoever.
Its gotta get pretty darn cold for us to not pop the top when camping in the winter. We did install an Espar D2 last Fall before a trip to Glacier, Waterton and Banff and we slept well with the top up the entire trip. Go for it.

Joe
Glad to hear! And I sure would like to be able to sleep up there year round. Lots to do to prepare for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
The typical rework is to mount the rear air vents/grilles in the rear corner "D" pillar, although they have been put in other places as well. I used 3 of the stock ceiling vents and mounted them in my rear corner cabinet.

Things looks trimmed/finished when the top is down...there is a little canvas showing inside but not much. I installed an automotive headliner and re-covered the vinyl parts on my transplant top but the SMB setup looks finished.

I used the stock headliner (well maybe 15% if it ) to trim the perimeter of the original van ceiling; SMB typically uses fabric covered trim boards that hold the interior lights.
Thanks for the clarification on the AC and ceiling, BW. I took a look at your album. Looks great! I've been searching on the SMB site and here for some good pics of the SMB finish, but not much luck. I'll take your word for it!

A technical question after looking closely at the canvas attachment to the van body... when closed, how does the top prevent water from leaking through at high vehicle speeds in rain? I see that big gasket... does the top rest on that? Or... how is the seal created? I originally thought the top itself had a gasket that it would lower down onto, but I don't see that in the photos.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post

Dokaman, that's really good to know! I didn't realize that treated canvas was that good. And, since you're in Washington, I know you get even more rain than we do!

Seriously, tho, how does it do for you in our winters? Do you use the upstairs much in the cold?

I have used mine with the top up for snow or sun trips. While it is warmer with the top down with a nice furnace winter is no problem. So far 17 deg F is the coldest that I have camped with the top up with no problem.
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:00 PM   #13

We have had our van in the PNW and Ketchikan for years, and have never had any mold problems (well, except for the inside of the fridge a couple times) and I doubt there is anywhere in the world that rains quite as much as Ketchikan. As for putting a hole in the top, I installed a Fantastic fan a couple years back and it's never leaked a drop. I think you will be fine.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
A technical question after looking closely at the canvas attachment to the van body... when closed, how does the top prevent water from leaking through at high vehicle speeds in rain? I see that big gasket... does the top rest on that? Or... how is the seal created? I originally thought the top itself had a gasket that it would lower down onto, but I don't see that in the photos.

The seal around the top of the PH doesn't actually keep water out at all. It should, in theory, but none of them every seal that flush and tight. The canvas is watertight and it is folded under wooden strips which are screwed down and have butyl tape squished (squashed, smooshed, etc. ) to the van roof. If you look at the canvas job boywonder did or that I did on Twogone's van you can see how it works. The butyl tape is the key. I redid the canvas on my 95 with lots of rust from living on Long Island and the wood firring strips holding the canvas in place weren't rotten at all.

Start at post 287:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...t-6270-29.html

Eric (Scotty is just the silly handle I've never changed. My first camper was an 86' Scotty.)

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #15

Garage
I was all set to go with a hardtop until I experienced a pop top on a hot day. Then and there, I shifted gears and I have not looked back.

I have spent the entire day in my van when it was better than 90 degrees out, and I was totally comfortable. Pop the top, and unzip all of the windows. All it takes is a little breeze, and the van cools right down. It is a lot like sitting under a shady tree. A hard top can never match that feeling. For that alone, I love my pop top.

I'm in the PNW; no mold issues so far. I think the biggest killer of stuff like this is lack of use, and lack of air circulation. In fact, the van is sitting in my driveway right now, with all the doors and windows open.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokaman View Post
I have used mine with the top up for snow or sun trips. While it is warmer with the top down with a nice furnace winter is no problem. So far 17 deg F is the coldest that I have camped with the top up with no problem.
17 degrees! Well, that's a testimonial!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
We have had our van in the PNW and Ketchikan for years, and have never had any mold problems (well, except for the inside of the fridge a couple times) and I doubt there is anywhere in the world that rains quite as much as Ketchikan. As for putting a hole in the top, I installed a Fantastic fan a couple years back and it's never leaked a drop. I think you will be fine.
I recently visited Ketchikan and was lucky, according to the locals, to experience a few gorgeous, sunny days. Glad to hear of no mold issues there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
The seal around the top of the PH doesn't actually keep water out at all. It should, in theory, but none of them every seal that flush and tight. The canvas is watertight and it is folded under wooden strips which are screwed down and have butyl tape squished (squashed, smooshed, etc. ) to the van roof. If you look at the canvas job boywonder did or that I did on Twogone's van you can see how it works. The butyl tape is the key. I redid the canvas on my 95 with lots of rust from living on Long Island and the wood firring strips holding the canvas in place weren't rotten at all.

Start at post 287:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...t-6270-29.html

Eric (Scotty is just the silly handle I've never changed. My first camper was an 86' Scotty.)

Now I get it! The photos on that rebuild were really helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
I was all set to go with a hardtop until I experienced a pop top on a hot day. Then and there, I shifted gears and I have not looked back.

I have spent the entire day in my van when it was better than 90 degrees out, and I was totally comfortable. Pop the top, and unzip all of the windows. All it takes is a little breeze, and the van cools right down. It is a lot like sitting under a shady tree. A hard top can never match that feeling. For that alone, I love my pop top.

I'm in the PNW; no mold issues so far. I think the biggest killer of stuff like this is lack of use, and lack of air circulation. In fact, the van is sitting in my driveway right now, with all the doors and windows open.

Glider, I hadn't thought of that possibility. Thanks for providing the "shade tree" analogy. Makes a lot of sense and sounds great. I can think of a few times I would have enjoyed that!

---------------------------

Well, you all are making the poptop sound pretty attractive. I wonder where all the folks are who had mold problems? Maybe SMB has better canvas technology these days?

Thanks much for all the info. I'm still on the fence about SMB vs CCV, tho. I like the long term experience of the SMB top but the taller sleeping area of the CCV's. One big plus for SMB is that they commit to 2 days for install vs CCV wants a week or more. Sure wouldn't mind a trip to Colorado if I didn't have to fly back and forth to get it done. My fly/drive trips to Agile were enough of that strategy for me.

Now to start refilling that savings account...

Old 07-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage
Far from a wet environment at home but up in the snow the coldest I recorded with the top up was eight degrees one night. I didn't line the PH with reflectix like some do but it would have made a huge difference. I could feel the cold a few inches from the tops material. I sleep with a 0 degree bag and my Espar D-4 was set to med-high. I've been in heavy rain a lot and never had an issue with mold.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #18

I live in NW WA. I use a reflectix surround in the penthouse in the winter, in addition to reflectix in every window. They are cut so they press in against the glass, which minimizes condensation.
Coldest camp was in the single digits.
Minimal mildew in small patches around the wood strips if I pull the carpet back, otherwise not much to report. Just keep is aired out and maintained.
tortorelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, mold, penthouse, poptop