Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #11

Re: Propane vs Diesel Furnace

[quote="jage"]Forced Air Heater is the metal box, Styrofoam is the water heater.

There is also a pig sized propane tank that you get to fill.

Jage, thanks for the picture. The heater is really big! You indicate it is an Atwood, but as far as I can tell at this point the current heater used is a Suburban, which looks very similar and large. Thus, the Propex furnace if going the propane route seems to be a better choice. It seems to solve the space problem, which is the primary reason in my opinion to use the diesel heater at its much greater cost.

The "pig sized" propane tank is nice and snug under the van, so I think that is not a big problem. I am trying to figure out how to specify to SMB a quick release tap before the pressure regulator so BBQ'ing outside on a propane grill will also be possible. Has anyone done something like that?

Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey
Aw man, there's nothing I hate more than a diesel engine idling in the campground!

Bonus points for unloading your Harley from the trailer and idling that, too :-O

Re: size of the propane furnace, the Propex is much smaller than the Atwood. I have one waiting for me to install it - it's about 13" x 4" x 7". It's probably more basic in some aspect, but I think it'll do the trick.

Cheers,
Mike.
Mike, What layout do you have and where do you plan to install the Propex heater? I have ordered the EB 50 layout (with a few tweaks) and if I go the propane route, I plan to have it installed outboard of the inverter, which is on the passenger side under the sofa. SMB indicated that is where they would install the Airtronic D4 diesel heater, and since the Propex is almost as small, I am assuming there is a good chance it will fit there. What do you think? Also, where did you buy it? I am in Seattle, and Sure Marine handles it. They, incidentally are the local distributor for Webasto diesel stuff too.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Another consideration is having to idle the engine. The 6.0 PSD does not like to be idled. Excessive idling can cause EGR problems as well as 'wet stacking'. Wet stacking means the engine does not make enough heat at idle to burn all the fuel, and fuel (soot) collects in the exhaust system. When you then drive off, your EGR's could ignite that fuel and burn up your catalytic convertor or worse. It also can cause turbo problems with the soot not allowing the variable gate arms to move.

If you want to idle your diesel for heat, get an AIC (aux idle control) and idle at 1200rpm to prevent the above issues.

Mike
Mike, Even if I go with propane for heater and a stove, I still am interested in the AIC when needing to charge batteries. I recently purchased a new '08 diesel that I found at a Ford dealer in Ann Arbor (which I drove to SMB, Indiana for conversion). I asked the Ford dealer about this and they indicated they think it used to be available from Ford, but no longer. So how does one get it? I thought I once saw it on a SMB Calif. price list, but not sure.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #14

I see them on ebay sometimes. But, it can't be for a 7.3, and I don't think the pickup one works either.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotearms
Mike, What layout do you have and where do you plan to install the Propex heater?
I built my own interior (actually, rebuilding it this week). I've left a space for it in front of the driver's side wheel well. Sorry, not very helpful!

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotearms
I am trying to figure out how to specify to SMB a quick release tap before the pressure regulator so BBQ'ing outside on a propane grill will also be possible. Has anyone done something like that?
I think SMB has something called "extenda flow" made for BBQ's and what not. Don't know how well it works....there is a few posts on the site about it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #17

No one ever talks about Precision Temp when these heat/water threads open up. Any reason why? PT is a "AquaHot" like all-in-one thing that uses propane instead of diesel. Supposed to be about the size of a normal forced air RV propane heater. Never seen one; but they are apparently out there in coach RV's. With it's alternative 110v heating element and its tankless hot water capability, I'm surprised no one's ever discussed it.
http://www.precisiontemp.com/pt_rvmd_main.html
JC
Old 04-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

I just relyed on SMB for my build. Hats off to all the build your own guys, but I do not have the time or drive to build my own rig. So I have to live with the mistakes SMB makes.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTex
No one ever talks about Precision Temp when these heat/water threads open up. Any reason why? PT is a "AquaHot" like all-in-one thing that uses propane instead of diesel. Supposed to be about the size of a normal forced air RV propane heater. Never seen one; but they are apparently out there in coach RV's. With it's alternative 110v heating element and its tankless hot water capability, I'm surprised no one's ever discussed it.
http://www.precisiontemp.com/pt_rvmd_main.html
JC
Never heard of it. One of the advantages of the propane water heater I have is the tank... I fire it at night, shut it down in the morning and have hot water through most of the day, warm by dinner if I don't turn it on again. It's nice to be able to wash your hands with warm water at those occasional rest stops where there are no sinks...

Also just from the size of the fittings on the website image it looks freaking huge!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #20

Jage, What appears to be advertised as a small unit on that website is huge: 20.5" Wide x 16" Deep x 14" High. Weight: 53 pounds! The propane approach is only attractive (aside from it's price) if it is space efficient, which seems to be the major challenge.