Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 05:22 AM   #11

Re: Question about the SMB pop top

How long does it take the electric top to go up and down? Just curious.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #12

Haven't timed it, but at least a minute.

I'm sure someone can find it, but there's a thread on how people get their manual pop top up. You HAVE to read that. Wanted to post "I hold the button in" but didn't want to be a jerk.

You may also want to consider resale value of someone wanting something up above or age of person.

And my knee jerk reaction to how long it takes to get the electric top up...."Who cares, I just have to push a button".
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #13

I have had both the manual and electric; I was surprised at how slow the electric top was. I also have found the EB manual to be quite heavy, not so heavy that you can't raise it though. I have currently scheduled a 2014 build and must decided between the two and I will go with the electric for ease of operation and resale value. The $1200 in the grand scheme of things will be forgotten down the road.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #14

Very true you all bring up great points and advice. In the beginning I was leaving towards manual but am now leaning towards electric. With the electric do you still have the latches to lock down the top? Also hopefully it will last problem free, I don't see why it wouldn't.

REF thank you for that I will check into ccv, I read about some people not being thrilled with the quality of Derek's work but I did see how big the pop tops go. It's an opinion, I actually emailed him to talk about it but I never received an email back.
Gh0ztkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0ztkid21
With the electric do you still have the latches to lock down the top? Also hopefully it will last problem free, I don't see why it wouldn't.
Yes
But it won't pop up if you don't latch it down like can happen with the push up top when
driving. You really don't want the top moving around if not latched. The worst problem that
seems to happen is lifting the top while it's latched. That screws things up for sure. BTDT
As far as problems I haven't had issues and mine is the older style. I did hear of a few
that had some issues but nobody with the new style (yet). But anything can happen.
I would never not order an electric if I were building new. JMO

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #16

We have the electric in a 2014 sprinter.
SMB west said they only do electric in the sprinter.
It takes maybe 45-60 seconds to lift, and the same to close.
I haven't put any weight up there when lifting it, so no idea on that yet.
I have never raised a manual penthouse, so nothing to contribute there.
There are lots of moving parts in the top, so I assume the long-term durability is better with KISS principal of a manual top.

I am making the assumption we will have some issues with the electric parts down the road, based on my overall assessment of the quality of the SMB work (on our van) in general.
When I was reinstalling some of the trim panels under the motors that had already begun to fall off, I noticed the wiring for the motors was unsecured to the van and just dangling. The visible wiring connections looked pretty shoddy as well, so I am going to have someone that knows more about 12v electrical work take a look when I get a chance.

Supposedly SMB has a 5 year warranty on their work? I hope to not own this thing in 5 years, but that may be a benefit to the new owner? Not sure if it transfers to a second owner.

I'd say if you want an electric top, better to do it during the initial build than to retrofit it.
Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #17
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0ztkid21
REF thank you for that I will check into ccv, I read about some people not being thrilled with the quality of Derek's work but I did see how big the pop tops go. It's an opinion, I actually emailed him to talk about it but I never received an email back.
As far as I know and have read here on the forum, the issues with Derek's work at CCV has never stemmed from problems with his tops, which is his main thing, the issues had more to do with expectations relating to an interior build out that was done.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
I guess I'll chime in with a plug. Having switched over to a CCV (Colorado camper van) top from a manual lift SMB pop top, I would highly recommend to anyone looking at adding a top to take a look at Derek's tops, they are a huge upgrade in my opinion, higher profile, longer/wider bed, superior frame and electric lift mechanism creates a very stout and sturdy top, insulated canvas option goes all the way forward to the glass creating a great usable space above the cab for storage, our little guy sleeps up there, it raises up higher so you can fully sit up in the upper bunk, includes LED lights and I think it's around the same price, not sure what SMB is getting for theirs. It's worth at least taking a look, very happy with our upgrade.
I'd love an alternative to SMB's penthouse top based on the quality issues I've been reading about(however Alan has always been quick and helpful with my initial questions, even offering a custom canvas color for very reasonable upcharge)...unfortunately looks like CCV's low profile tops have fairly ugly clips/clamps on the side; http://s127.photobucket.com/user/dsw...20and%20celia/
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:23 AM   #19

Don't forget there are three SMB locations, each of which is basically its own company. Nothing against the other vendors, but I like having a top that has been around for a long time and is still supported by the vendor. My 98 Indiana SMB's top is still going strong with no issues, even after 17 years.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Don't forget there are three SMB locations, each of which is basically its own company. Nothing against the other vendors, but I like having a top that has been around for a long time and is still supported by the vendor. My 98 Indiana SMB's top is still going strong with no issues, even after 17 years.
Good point, I'd rather ship my van a further distance than have to deal with any QC issues. So, what's the preferred location for best QC?

Although I still wonder; with a top that's been around for such a "long time," why the heck are any of the 3 SMB locations having ANY QC issues still? They should have been nipped in the bud years ago.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote