Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 05:29 AM   #21

Re: Question about the SMB pop top

Two thoughts come to mind: they are built by humans, and humans make mistakes sometimes. Also, as with any product, the higher the volume of product produced the more likely you'll hear about an issue.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Two thoughts come to mind: they are built by humans, and humans make mistakes sometimes. Also, as with any product, the higher the volume of product produced the more likely you'll hear about an issue.
Understood.

Earthroamer comes to mind and while their very early stuff needed a lot of fixin', their latest builds seem pretty darn dialed without many complaining.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #23

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk216v
I'd love an alternative to SMB's penthouse top based on the quality issues I've been reading about(however Alan has always been quick and helpful with my initial questions, even offering a custom canvas color for very reasonable upcharge)...unfortunately looks like CCV's low profile tops have fairly ugly clips/clamps on the side; http://s127.photobucket.com/user/dsw...20and%20celia/
last i talked with derek, that design had changed (i was originally interested in that top myself and hated the outside clips too). so if thats all that was keeping you from pursuing one of his tops, it might be worth it to contact him. his tops are as he puts it, "ever evolving".
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk216v
I'd love an alternative to SMB's penthouse top based on the quality issues I've been reading about(however Alan has always been quick and helpful with my initial questions, even offering a custom canvas color for very reasonable upcharge)...unfortunately looks like CCV's low profile tops have fairly ugly clips/clamps on the side; http://s127.photobucket.com/user/dsw...20and%20celia/
last i talked with derek, that design had changed (i was originally interested in that top myself and hated the outside clips too). so if thats all that was keeping you from pursuing one of his tops, it might be worth it to contact him. his tops are as he puts it, "ever evolving".
Thanks. I just spoke to him a few weeks ago and for the low top, the clips are there. The high top has no clips.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:58 AM   #25
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Derek (CCV) is working on a medium height top that slots in-between his low and high profile top that I got, look for 1der's comments on that as he's been working on it with Derek for his new rig.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Derek (CCV) is working on a medium height top that slots in-between his low and high profile top that I got, look for 1der's comments on that as he's been working on it with Derek for his new rig.
Yes, I didn't want to mention this as I wasn't sure if I could let the cat out of the bag. The medium height will have internal latches FYI. Derek said it should be out within a few weeks.

Feedback 1der?
Old 02-14-2016, 08:38 PM   #27

Any update or experiences with the Colorado Camper van top conversions? Looks like a good product but have questions about the workmanship and ability to deliver. I have found them to be non-responsive when I inquired about a new order/conversion.
buggymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:32 PM   #28
MSD

Garage
Buggymancan where are you located? I live in Fort Collins, CO so just a sort distance from Derek's shop. I had email him serval times about a 20" aero fixed top. Got zero response from emails so went buy to say Hello. They are super busy and he was actually responding to my email as I walked thru the door, the smart phone dinged with his response about 1 min into our conversation. After spending time in the shop and talking with Derek, see 4 rigs in progress... I have no reservations or concerns about his workmanship or ability to deliver. My rig will be getting a fixed top by CCV in April.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote