Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #1

Replacing a Penthouse Top...just the cap ?

I have been looking through the forum but have not found info on my question ...
I recently purchased a 2005 SMB EB built in Fresno. The van has the satellite unit on top, and it appears to leak. There is also a Yakima rack bolted on up there. Somewhere there is a slight leak that shows up inside the van in the center of the 'ceiling' where the TV mount is attached.
I dont really care for the Tv in there, nor the satellite on the top.
I am looking at options to seal it, but do you know if I can just get a replacement top and have it installed? Would I have to go through SMB or would a local (Denver) RV shop be likely to do that? Not sure I want to go that route, but just considering options. Has anyone ever replaced the cap only? Can it be done? I am looking for a permanent solution.
Thanks again...

Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Replacing a Penthouse Top...just the cap ?

I would think that would be an expensive project as compared to having a boat shop or fiberglass shop do a repair. Like a hole in a boat, it can be repaired and re gel coated. I've had my bass boat re gel-coated but it was also fairly expensive at about 2K. On my top, SMB removed my old solar panels, filled the holes that were there and then shot the new Rhino type coating for slightly over 600 dollars. If the water is coming from the support bolts in the top it might cost a little more to redo those but way cheaper than replacing or re gel-coating the top. The new coating is great; no waxing needed and just sprays off with a hose to clean. Call SMB. BTW many water leaks can also come through wireing if you have anything on the roof that needs it.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #3

Search leaky with my name. I just redid all the front hardware (haven't posted the photos yet) and I honestly can't tell if I still have a leak- and it's all just the most base level stuff- no racks, additional holes, fans etc.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. Jage, I will look that up.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote