Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #1

Unhappy Replacing cab to frame bushings ...

Need some quick input from the mechanically inclined:

Working through my build out of this 2008 Ford e350 V10 van that I just got in December. I'm starting to get into the interior build but anted to do some preventative maint on it by replacing the cab to frame bushings which were looking pretty dry rotted. Figuring it would be better to replace them now before i install everything else that will go into it.

Mechanic didn't have a good idea of labor for the job but estimated about $1000 for parts and labor. He got into and unfortunately it was hell to get the bushing bolts out, several broke, etc. Now that he has the body off, he's having a similarly hellish time getting the bushings out so he can even get the new ones installed.

He is now estimating about $2000 to finish the job and wants me to ok it or just call it quits and put the body back down, replace the broken bolts and leave the bushings in.

It sucks and its more money than I wanted to drop on it but I'm tempted to go through with finishing the job as opposed to just folding with nothing to show for $1000 in labor.

Do other people have experience with bad bushings on their rigs? What are the consequences of bad cab to frame bushings, are they worth the cost of replacing or just leave as is? I've attached a picture of the current bushing, I've seen worse on my old silverado, but these things are pretty rotted out.

Thanks!

P.S hoping to find time to put together a build thread one of these days but too busy building
Attached Thumbnails
Bushings.jpg  

Old 07-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #2

did you see: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...350-22056.html

believe member gnty has pulled the couple body of a couple vans
Old 07-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #3

Thanks for reply.

After thinking about it some more I decided to follow through with the job with my mechanic. He said he was able to get the bolts off and the body off the frame after breaking several of the bolts ...

So hard part done right? I wish LOL - now he can't get the bushings themselves off. He said the bushing sleeve is rusted to the frame and the rubber portion is not coming out either. He's soaking them with tranny fluid over the weekend in hopes that it will soften the rubber and he'll be able to break them out next week.

Given how bad bushings can f up drive performance, I think its still a job worth doing now before I build out the entire inside.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson View Post
Given how bad bushings can f up drive performance, I think its still a job worth doing now before I build out the entire inside.
You're correct as since you've already gone this far can't turn back now.

Look into finding urethane "pucks" from Energy Suspension or ProThane that approximate the current bushing's OD, thickness and bolt hole. If you're able to save the metal discs and simply replace the rubber parts you'll be much better off longevity-wise.

I know several have sought Ford OEM part numbers but if those are needed your local dealership should be able to supply those with your VIN.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #5

So after 2 weeks in the shop the Mechanic was able to swap out the bushings. He said the trick was to make a perfectly shaped bushing punch to get the seized sleeve out of the old bushings which had rusted to the frame.

all is well that ends well, fortunatley this mechanic is not a shiester and he completed the job just a couple hundred over what he originally estimated despite putting in way more labor than either he or I wanted. He originally thought it would be a 2 day job, drop off on Thursday, pick up on Saturday.

Now that the van is back I'm back to the build out ... god it is slow as hell, having a full time job really makes these projects drag. I do a couple hours each evening but my friends are still giving me shit for how little progress has been made on the van since I've started working on it.

I think a big reason is because the van was in such rough shape, I've dumped almost 8K into this thing since buying it and it still is just now starting to get off the ground, 7 months later ugh... The big parts of the build like solar, heater system, and interior / bed are still on the list good night I feel like I'll never finish this bloody thing.
Mr.Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #6

Garage
Great to have a guy you can trust.

These projects are very time consuming and when you add a full-time job...

On the negative side, lots of projects don't get finished and are sold as projects. On the positive, lots of others finish.

Maybe the old saying works here, how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
Taking the overall project and separating into parts or phases of the build and tracking progress by those is a way to look at it instead of one finished project at the end.

Sounds like now that you have gotten your base vehicle solid, you can now begin to make progress that shows.