Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Share your Pickup Day Surprises

My pick up day was somewhat stressful. Trouble getting the rental car I reserved to start off the day and then after pulling into SMB I got a big surprise from the insurance company I had planned to deal with. Basically they lied to me by giving me a incorrect quote. I had to scramble to find a different insurance company. Lucky I had a backup cause you can't take the vehicle unless it's insured. Then on the way out when I engaged the lockers the alarm would activate. I finally left out about 6PM. Normally I can get home within an hour but wanted to break in the gears http://www.4x4now.com/gt0999.htm and engine and took the back roads. Still it was a nice ride home.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #12

We arranged to have an SMB contract driver bring our new rig to Las Vegas to take delivery so we would not incur CA sales tax. Plans were made weeks in advance where and when to meet him, and we were on the road to Las Vegas already when he called with major problems in making the connection due to the flight he was planning to take to Fresno not operating on the Saturday before Christmas. That resulted in a lot of last minute rearrangements and uncertainties. Not SMB's fault, rather the driver did not make sure he could live up to his end before he committed.

The van itself is awesome. (See Gallery) They got everything right, even the brilliant (or crazy- remains to be seen) cargo attachment system we devised for our rear cargo area. After our walkthrough we headed for Yosemite, where we found a few very minor things either not working quite right or maybe we weren't operating them right, we weren't sure. There's a lot of information to absorb in a short walk-through. But we called SMB West and they said come on in we'll take care of it.

When we arrived they had a whole "pit crew" ready to tackle our list and they swarmed over the van like it was an entry in the Indy 500. Everything fixed and back on our way within a couple of hours.

We did end up making one more visit back to Fresno after we thought we were done because there was evidence we might have a roof leak. They did a flood test and determined there was no leak, just a lot of condensation between the roof and ceiling from the extreme humidity (central California was having a 100-year rainstorm).

We have finally escaped the gravitational pull of Fresno and are glad to have the van home and be done with all the traveling back and forth, sometimes in two separate vehicles. Hope to take it to New Mexico next month and stay in the parking lot at Taos Ski Valley while we get some turns in on the slopes. Anyone have experience with camping at ski area parking lots? Are the powers that be usually cool with that?
2009 Sprinter RB custom floorplan began conversion at SMB West in August 2010, delivered December 20, 2010. Diesel furnace/water heater (Espar D5), gaucho, porta potti, exterior shower, sink, fridge, micro, vent fan, cargo storage in rear.
durangatangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #13

When we went to pick up ours....the running boards wernt' on.....they didn't have any so had to go back later to get them put on.

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote