Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #11

Re: SMB Indiana visit

Texas specializes in Sprinters
Fresno specializes in 4x4
Indiana specializes in not having to wait 6 months for you build

Any can be built at all of course, although they might get shipped- for example your SMB4x4 will be built in Fresno AFIK and then shipped to Indy or Austin if you order through there. Sprinters, I'm not sure that Indiana does them because my brother went to Austin even though he lives in Indianapolis.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #12

Hi, I'm pretty sure Indiana still does Sprinters too. When I was there in the summer of 08 they were working on a really nice one. It seemed roomy, but I didn't think it would fit in my garage ... too tall and probably too long.

I finally have my van in the garage with height to spare for my (hopeful mid-late summer 10) conversion. I also have just enough length to get it in when I take the swing-arm and tire off the carrier. It's no trouble keeping it in the van for now, especially since I could use the extra weight inside.

I've been reading the forums and saw the one about the 5 things I'd get or the 5 things I wouldn't get if I had to do it again, and decided I won't get a water heater. I waste enough water at home waiting for it to get hot and won't do it in the RV. I'll use the microwave or set a jug of water in the sun if straight out of the faucet isn't warm enough. I do think an air conditioner will be needed. Has anyone tried using the Danhard (cabin one) with solar power? Has anyone used portable solar panels? If so, how have they worked out?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #13

Those last two questions would probably be better as a new thread or threads... people don't get to read everything and someone might not get down this far to see them.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #14
Site Team

Indiana still works on Sprinters.
Here's a couple of pictures from today.
A van they are just finishing up.

Vans waiting to be converted.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #15

Thanks Jage, I'll post them as new topics after I have time to check the most recent posts. I know MikewTV likes the Danhard a/c but don't know if he's using any solar for it.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV

I do not have solar. But, if you are asking if solar could power the Danhard a/c I would not think that possible. It would call for far too much power. If you mean would solar help top off batteries after you ran them down using the Danhard for an hour, I guess eventually they would over time. But that IS a question for another post.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #17

Thank you MikewTV! I guess I wasn't sure what I was asking so thanks for the answer to both since each answer was useful. I can see now that I don't know enough to know what to ask. I'm going to do some independent reading so I'll hopefully understand what I'm asking when I start a topic. Sorry the reply took so long, but I haven't been online much ... working more than planned to save up for the conversion.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #18

Nancy at Sportsmobile (Huntington) told me earlier this month that about 75 percent of their conversions in Huntington are on Sprinters and the other 25 percent are Fords. She said the Sprinter conversions trended up when fuel prices climbed dramatically last year.

Brian
Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #19

I was at SMB Indiana yesterday to pick up my new-to-me 2004 Ford 2wd with penthouse. Fortunately they could make room inside for my orientation since it was 10 degrees outside!

Outside:

Much warmer inside...

They also were working on a Ford EB with a cruiser top and a GMC with a penthouse:

Old 02-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #20

Congratulations. I like the reinforced door pocket pattern - mine has a bag-style pocket on the rear door and it sags a bit, so yours should hold up better and stay out of the way when closing the door.

Either the penthouse roof for the Chevy looks a lot different than the one for the Ford or it looks like Indiana at least has started to use a new roof mold.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote