Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 01:29 AM   #1

SMB West sprinter audio upgrade

What upgrades have you had SMB do for the audio/navigation/backup video? We are in the final stage of determining modifications to our Sprinter 4x4 150 plan for the Sprinter that should arrive any day now. We worked out some details 2 years ago, but we are wondering what changes have come about and recommendations for the system.

We like our music, with albums on iPhone. Would you recommend upgraded radio or a standalone system? Last go around SMB’s contractor recommended a Kenwood ### and subwoofer. Cheers

north40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #2

We really like the integration of the Apple CarPlay feature, both for music and navigation. Suggest that be on your list.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #3

You might find this interesting:
Klompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:26 AM   #4

We went with the full on audio upgrade. I don't regret it at all. But both my wife and I love crystal clear audio.

However, my perspective is probably not rational nor normal.

I'm the guy who did an aftermarket $10K audio upgrade to my TRD Pro 4Runner by Ballard Custom Audio (great plug for Bill there), including a full-on removal of the interior for sound deadening and complete new control head, speakers, amplifiers, custom subwoofer and enclosure.

There's nothing like rocking Pearl Jam or Soundgarden at full volume rolling up a remote logging road..

Attached is our upgrade when the van was being built at SMB West. The upgrade cost total was $8200.

This did include the COMPUSTAR system so wasn't completely audio.

I will say the sound quality from the SMB West upgrade is top quality. Absolutely no complaints.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sprinter Nav_Tech Items.pdf (88.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 12-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #5

Very nice system. I will use it as a guide when negotiating with SMB. Do you use the AUX audio input at galley?
Old 12-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #6

Hi North40! We gave up on waiting for the 4x4 Sprinter we ordered when we found a similar new one on a dealer's lot. The problem was, it already had the mediocre factory nav and look-down backup camera installed. We asked SMB-Texas to prewire for speakers and a different backup camera and then had a lucky failure to communicate. They accidently installed some good rear speakers and a SECOND backup camera, both at a decent price. Their standard speakers were surprisingly good, and the 2-camera option is something we had not thought of, but would not want to be without now. The factory camera points down, and helps to make sure one doesn't run over something (like a small child) when backing up. With the flick of an SMB-installed dash switch we can now also see on the nav screen the view through the second camera. This second SMB-installed camera works as a really good, unobstructed rear-view mirror. No blind spots trying to peak through the van contents and the divided back doors. We tend to keep it turned on all the time when we are driving, especially in congested areas. It provides a better view outback then any or all of the mirrors. We highly recommend SMB's dual camera option. It provides two different but critical views, one for backing up, and one for driving.
OurayMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #7

My van came with the Becker map pilot navigation which cost me like $1,000 so I wasn't too keen on replacing it. I thought I could live with the stock sound system, but it was junk.

We went with one of Randy's "basic" packages, but also added the sound dampening. A bonus on the dynamat, is that SMB insulated the headliner since Randy had it down for the dynamat. I use the key pad more than I thought I would, and the external sub control is great. It cost a bit extra to wire in the steering wheel controls (basically just volume and source), but I'm glad I did.

I also have two USB inputs (#1 beneath the head unit (CarPlay) and #2 which is the stock location on the dash (No CarPlay)). I thought my main location for my phone would be on the dash so I wanted the stock USB port to work, but I rarely use it. Instead, I have a phone holder in the cupholder/ashtray and use the one connected to CarPlay by the head unit. CarPlay is much more helpful now that it works with 3rd party maps (e.g. Google Maps and Waze).

With all the time spent behind the wheel, I'm glad I did the upgrade. Randy did a great install, and it makes the driving much more enjoyable.

Attached Thumbnails
SMB audio invoice.JPG  
whwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:05 PM   #8

WhWV, Is the factory Camera satisfactory? OurayMark likes his second camera.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by north40 View Post
WhWV, Is the factory Camera satisfactory? OurayMark likes his second camera.
Works fine for me. Much better than the one on my Tacoma due to the high placement. I also have parktronic, but there’s a bike rack on the back most of the time so I rely heavily on the camera.

That said, I don’t think anyone would complain with another angle, but it’s not on my list at this time.
whwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #10

whwv, I have a few questions about your A/V order given that Randy and I are talking about almost the exact configuration.

1. Is there anything you would change now based on our experience to date?
2. Do you find the NAV useful? I never use the factor option on my GMC and don't see this changing with the Sprinter, but maybe there is a use case.
3. Did you consider Sirius? I have it currently and thinking I want to add it, but it's another case.

Thanks!
barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, navigation, radio