Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2017, 05:47 AM   #11

I'm expecting that we're going to hear from Brian in Fresno this week. Meanwhile...
Got our check cashed by SMBw and we're apparently in the cue for a van and build that'll start sometime around the end go the year and end... TBD....

Submitted a lot of ideas and some pictures to Brian, he's the dude that navigated us through the PH top that was added to our rig awhile back. Like him, and he's been steady on comms so far.

Since our new rig is an EB body with 4x4 and I'm feeling positive that the weight will require DRW. I'm off to study up on what we will need to know about chaining up when it's r1-r3 conditions on California roads: chains on all wheels! Dam, I better get a onesie overall to crawl around in ....

As climbers we've been studying and reading up on our Climbers Forums: SuperTopo, Mountain Project, etc.. We've been working through the steps too ween ourselves from the e350RB, 4x4 lockers ability and our considerations that 'so many' locales require beast mode to get to and climb; basically, it's not true that we'll be snake bitten if we transition to our new rig.

We even went though all of the Guide Books we have to research future sites and past trips to find exactly what we needed and if we could have done without. It'll be like losing a kiddo to growin' up we figure, change requires loss.

The ol' timer climber crew would start their answer with this lead, " You're gonna die...", then they chirp up about how they see the whole shebang unfolding, no matter what the topic, based on their wizened, hard earned wrinkles in how a life plays itself out. Climbing route wise, sweetheart wise, vehicle wise or the way to open a bottle of nearly frozen beer. They'll chime in... so far the consensus from the geezers has been: 'move on'

EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMay View Post

Since our new rig is an EB body with 4x4 and I'm feeling positive that the weight will require DRW. I'm off to study up on what we will need to know about chaining up when it's r1-r3 conditions on California roads: chains on all wheels! Dam, I better get a onesie overall to crawl around in ....
The topic of snow chains in CA is discussed in my build thread. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-16293-29.html
Start at Post 232 where the MB owner's manual is quoted: "Mount snow chains only in pairs and only to the rear wheels".

As to the onesie, good idea! I keep a pair of waterproof Tyvek coveralls in the container where the cable chains are stored.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:34 AM   #13

Fitz,
Thanks for the redirect. I read that, happy it's pairs and rear end only; I'm still getting my onesie, I might even wear it around the house this weekend doing chores and researching. '... or maybe not!', says granny.
So coffee and shorts it is...
Old 11-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #14

Yo, SOB! Uh hold it... StraightOuttaBallard does sound better, what's the status on you having your rig built out at SMB?
SMB still buried and extending wait times? What did you end up doing...
Old 12-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #15

I just heard from SMB West yesterday that my Sprinter which was due to start production at the end of March 2018 is now delayed at least 3 months. Mercedes won’t go into production on 2018 models until April. I’m not sure why I am stuck waiting for a 2018 model, I ordered in March 2017. Pretty disappointing they have my 2k non-refundable (and they mean it) deposit. Will not cancel order and return deposit. Not a big deal since I don’t really want to cancel but a little worrisome that it’s not an option. Anybody else have any insight on this issue. Also does anyone know what changes are planned for the 2018 model. I’m still a fan of Sportsmobile but Mercedes??
pfrey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #16

Here's a quote from Fresno re: our rigs status-

'... . It appears that the 2018 model year vans (which your van is slated to be) have been delayed slightly. We don’t have any specific timing for your particular van from Mercedes as of yet, but it currently has not been pulled for production. This means it is at least 2-3 months out from reaching us still, if not a bit further. It isn’t cause for alarm at this point as I don’t have you down for a conversion start date until the end of February, but I do want to make you aware that there is a chance that your van could arrive later than your scheduled production date by as much as a couple of months. Again, I don’t know that yet, and it still could arrive on time, but I want to be as up front as possible. '

We have an awesome 4x4 e350 5.4 rig set up to camp, travel and runs awesome. We're ok on waiting.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:43 AM   #17

I made my reservation in Dec. 2016 with a start date of Jan. 17, 2017. After reading the above, I wrote to Brian almost a week ago and just got the below reply this morning:

I wanted to check in with you because we have recently been informed that there are going to be delays in delivery of the 2018 Mercedes Sprinter vans. Mercedes has scheduled start of Model Year 2018 production for this coming February which is pushing van arrival times back a bit.

Currently it looks like things will be pushed back about 12-16 weeks from our initial expectations. This is a rough estimate because we do not have the exact timing of when your van will arrive to the shop from Mercedes yet. As soon as we have more information on the arrival of your van we will let you know.

The good news is that our production line is on time, and in many cases ahead of schedule, so as soon as your van arrives we will work to get it into production as quickly as possible.

That is indeed discouraging.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote