Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #11

Re: Sprinter Seats, Ford Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepar
I also wanted seats like this installed but safety and legal concerns definately put a stop to it. Imagine 3 people (and maybe 500 lbs) strapped into a row of seats and a head on colision. If an after market bracket failed, everyone goes flying. Not a situation to put your kids or friends into.
That being said maybe these guys might be able to do it right.
http://www.relaxedcustoms.com/Sprinter%20Seating.htm
CVC and more uses the stock seat mounts backing plate for most positions. For other positions large backing plates are installed. They meet all FMVSS standards, so you can be assured losing a seat in a crash won't happen.

Ford actually provides the necessary specs and methods for installing aftermarket seats, so if those instructions are followed, flying seats shouldn't be a concern.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #12

Thanks for the links. We hadn't found either of those companies yet.

Spoke with a guy in Chicago today that does high-end custom stuff and had Sprinter seats for sale on eBay. He said rather confidently that the Sprinter bench seats were too big for the Ford van.

We're still searching for the answer. Can't believe it is this hard.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #13

Quick note re: LATCH:

LATCH is no safer than seatbelts, I recall reading. Just easier to install quickly. It's also limited to 40 lbs, so once your kid is ~4yo, you'll have to use the belts, anyway.

So you might not want to make LATCH a requirement in your search.

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #14

LATCH vs seatbelt safety assumes good installs on both. The trick is that different carseats seem to be optimized for different seatbelt locations and reclines. As a result, some seats just won't get a "tight" install is some cars. LATCH is nearly universal. Good install every seat, every time. There's nothing more frustrating than finding out your expensive carseat can't get a good install in your expensive new car.

In theory this is a relatively short problem. That being said, I've had carseat sized kids for 8.5 years running now and have a minimum of four years to go.

The frustration is this: Why don't they put them in ALL of the rear seating? Voluntarily? How hard could it possibly be? How much extra could it possibly be to design the seats that way from the start?

Rant complete. I feel much better now.

I think I may have found a place to install the Sprinter seats. They are looking at it now. I should know in a couple of days.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #15

First pictures just came in from CMI:

4-person bench looks like it will be just a little too big:

3-person benches look good to go:

This is what the floor brackets look like:

We're hoping that SMB is going to tell us that after adding their flooring the brackets will be essentially flush mounted. We're also trying to decide if it makes more sense to center the rear bench or slide it to the driver's side to keep the isle open all the way to the back.

Once we make the placement decision, I've asked for pictures of how they attach the brackets. Will post when we get there...
Old 02-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #16

You should ask SMB to make the floor flush with the brackets... it should be something they can easily do... I would think. I guess it might be a problem if the floor is normally higher than the bracket mounts, but that's doubtful and you can always make a bracket cover in that case anyway.

Now I'm curious, what does your overall layout look like?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #17

SMB says not a problem making them flush mount with their floor.

The layout will be a really, REALLY expensive 12 passenger van. Yes, I question my sanity every day.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #18

Quick update: Floor brackets are in (no pics yet). While attempting to try the 4-person bench, it got wedged at the top by the seat belts causing a "dimple" from the inside out. They proactively had the "dimple" repaired, but it sounds like it is in a future window location. So, hopefully it is a non-issue.

Bottom line: 4-person Sprinter bench seat has been confirmed too big.

Pics to follow when I get them...
Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #19

Picked up the van today. Here are the initial pictures of the seats installed:

So far I am very pleased. I'm not sure how SMB is going to integrate the brackets into their floor. Obviously the goal is for them to end up flush mounted for a stock appearance. We'll see.

Made it to SMB North late tonight after the 0330 wake up for a 0615 flight out of Fresno and a three hour drive from OH. PH top goes in tomorrow. Then 40 hrs back to Fresno. 31 March is the build date at SMB West for the rest of the interior...
Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #20

SMB puts in a thick wood subfloor, so I suspect the brackets would more or less end up flush once the subfloor is installed.