Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #1

Switch out Sprinter seats, improve design

I finally found my 4x4, 144, RB and dropped it off this week at SMW. Im running into a lot of design issues due to short 144 WB and low roof w/ penthouse. That being said, having disabilities won't stop me from taking the adventure I want or the van I need.
First issue, seats. SM wont switch out the driver/passenger seats for captain chairs or install a swivel on the driver's seat because they are "Mercedes Upfitters." I want to install swivels and captain chairs in both seats as well as install an ergonomic seat or high end ergonomic bench in back of the driver seat. Plus upgrade all upholstery. SM wont recover the upholstery or switch out the seating. Where do I purchase high end seats and have them installed?
Second issue: Since I need an AC, bathroom, and special seating, Ive run out of room underneath the van unless we build a modified black water tank. SM wont do, so I guess Im going with a Laveo since I cant lift and empty a cassette. I cannot setup my bed so I have a platform bed. I know there must be a better design solution but I have not been able to come up with one!My design includes captain chair or special bench in back of driver, then full bath, then 4" pantry for AC vents, then platform bed w/ shallow garage underneath. Opposite on sliding door, pantry w/ furnace and fridge, then galley. No room left! Your ideas are welcome! Thanks.

rolorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #2

The Sportsmobile website says there is an option for captains seats with swivels. We find the original seats to be fine and didn't go with the option for different upholstery or captains seats.
We saw some seat options at the Overland Expo. I don't see that we kept their card and I don't remember the name. The seats were very comfortable but $1000 we're out of our need.
LindaDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #3

Check with MG Metalworks/ExpoVans for Scheel Mann seats.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #4

That the name, Scheel Mann.
LindaDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #5

swivels are not offered for driver seat but thanks.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #6

Thanks much!
Old 09-08-2018, 12:31 AM   #7

My pleasure. MG's the man!
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote