Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #1

Texas Visit

Hello to all. I'm a newbie seeking advice regarding a planned visit to SMB Texas. But first I want to thank everyone for all the great info and very helpful advice I've gathered during my many, many late nights of reading various threads... this forum is truly a remarkable resource!

I'm age 62, recently retired, and single (but am seeking to change that) and have been dreaming of owning a SMB for a very long time (think "pre-internet"). I live in the Midwest (Jefferson City, MO) but love and want to spend time exploring the western U.S. Although the macho part of me wants a Ford 4x4, I cannot afford either the high initial cost or the ongoing fuel expense. Besides, it's unlikely I'd be able to find a diesel model. Consequently, I've decided on an RB Sprinter to carry me on the Forest Service-type backroads I'm interested in. And from what I've learned on this forum, it should. Which finally brings me to my question...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific person at SMB-Ausin? I plan to drive down and spend a day looking at SMBs, asking questions, and finalizing a plan, but want to call in advance and make arrangements to meet with a specific person.

Thanks much in advance for your help.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #2

Re: Texas Visit

I don't know anyone there but just wanted to say hey to a fellow Jefferson City, MO SMB'er! We just got ours from Fresno recently. If you ever wanna see it holler!

Derek
tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #3

Thanks, Derek; I appreciate the offer and will pm you soon about seeing your rig... I've visited your gallery and can only say "WOW!"

WillieBill
Old 09-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #4

I was in Austin in early august and Paul seems to be the main salesguy and tour guide.All the units they were working on at the time were sprinters but they had a new diesel 4x4 ford for sale and used units to look at. I ended up purchasing a used single owner SMB E350 7.3 with 54K miles from a ford dealer in florida a couple weeks ago. Drove it back to Illinois and last week took a tour of Lake superior, got 19-20 mpg. I was ready to have it converted to 4x4 before the trip by Ujoint or Quadvan but am rethinking that after the trip. I was on some gravel roads in the up that were washboard and I thought why would I subject such a nice vehicle to offroading. My wife is less than entralled with the vehicle over interior space, I think the vehicle is perfect as it drives like a normal van but is self contained- shower, toilet microwave refrig, how we resolve this issue is up in the air at this time. good luck
2011 Ford Raptor
2002 Casita
yfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #5

Thanks, yfarm... when I contact SMB-Austin I'll ask for Paul. And it sounds like you made a nice find in Florida, and I'm envious of your trip to the UP. Hope that I'll be out there having fun soon too.

Thanks again for the recommendation.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #6

Texas Visit

When I did my visit to SMB Texas in 2004, I dealt with Paul Meyer. He's a gentleman and gave me zero pressure to buy.

I was able to look at every used SMB on the lot, he gave me a tour of the factory and discussed various options for a new build. He even made time for me when I returned the next day, unannounced.

It took me three months after that visit to place my order for a new SMB. The entire time, he answered questions diligently (both email and phone), made several suggestions for my custom layout and still gave me zero pressure to place an order. During the build, he was just ad accommodating to my questions and requests.

If only other sales people were as good as Paul... I cannot recommend him highly enough. A class act, all the way.

Keep us posted on your progress.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:33 AM   #7

Thanks for the info, JoeyNick... I'll keep the forum posted of my progress. Hopefully, there's a SMB in my future!
Old 10-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNick
When I did my visit to SMB Texas in 2004, I dealt with Paul Meyer. He's a gentleman and gave me zero pressure to buy.

I was able to look at every used SMB on the lot, he gave me a tour of the factory and discussed various options for a new build. He even made time for me when I returned the next day, unannounced.

It took me three months after that visit to place my order for a new SMB. The entire time, he answered questions diligently (both email and phone), made several suggestions for my custom layout and still gave me zero pressure to place an order. During the build, he was just ad accommodating to my questions and requests.

If only other sales people were as good as Paul... I cannot recommend him highly enough. A class act, all the way.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Paul is FANTASTIC and the president of the company, He will not push you or try to SELL YOU into anything, you dont want or need. In fact, he talked me out of some things, I didnt need or would ever use!!!!!!! When you deal with Paul, it is IMPOSSIBLE for you, not to be satisfied, with your build !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,
k9sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #9

Well, k9sprinter... that's about as strong an endorsement as there is! I'll be sure to ask for Paul when I schedule my visit. Thanks much.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #10

I, too, dealt with Paul and I have to say that everyone at SMB Austin, is great. They winterized it for me last winter and did some other little jobs, besides storing it for me for 3 or 4 months. They said that it was such a good demonstrator for them, to let people see what could be done, that they didn't even charge me. How neat is that?

I have a Sprinter RB (144" wheelbase) with a high roof, and no tall cabinets or any other obstructions, so it looks much bigger than it really is. The best thing I did was to get a cassette toilet - I love just being able to empty it out in any commode. I didn't get a propane system, either, but I can heat water either in my express kettle, or the microwave, and cooking is done on an electric hot plate or the microwave (again). The only thing I would do differently is go with the 3 cf fridge instead of the bigger 4 cf.

There's a lot more room that one expects, too. My sister and I did a 4800 mile road trip this September, and had room for all our normal gear, and then some (she's a shopper).

I camped all over Europe in a tent back in the 60's so this feels luxurious to me. Even though I have to rely on shower and latrine facilities during the day, I don't have get out in the middle of the night anymore. That's good enough for me.

DJ
70goingon17 is offline   Reply With Quote