Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2017, 04:17 AM   #31

Gamma lid

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
For Camper 1.0 (the Odyssey), we started with the simplest possible setup- what I refer to as 'Zee Bucket' with a Gamma lid. We have not bothered with bags, just dump and quick rinse when travelling, and a more thorough bleach / water soak and clean after the trip.

With the Gammma's tight seal we have experienced no smell. We have had it fall on its side and sit, with no leakage. The biggest complaint is what I call Ring around the Butt. For Camper 2.0 (Econoline), I am going to craft a (splinter-free) removable seat top that can stow in a bag to make things a little more civilized for Mrs. Rex.

May consider an upgrade to something better during the life of the Ford, but for the time being, this is doing the job effectively. We have plenty of time to decide what upgrades might be worthwhile for Camper v2.1 or even 3.0.

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #32
Site Team

Garage
My bucket from Restop came with a rubber seat. But I store the seat inside the bucket along with the bags and extra cat litter I add to the wag bags. For me it is so much easier to just dispose of the bags in the garbage.

Here was an idea that might work similar to the rubber seat.
Attached Images

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Good point. But I'd still like to know how the composting heads react to freezing temps and as 1der posted I need to know about the venting. If they vent smells or can't take freezing, the PP that came with my rig might find a home on the rear bumper in a box. I still am reluctant to haul it inside the van. Just me.
Dave, I know this was 19 months ago, but see you also posted in the thread today. I don't know about SMB, but when Provan puts composting toilets in Tigers, they run the vertical vent pipe out the roof and also install a very low amp (ISTR it's about 1 amp) vent fan that runs 24/7.

I still have to make this decision on my new SMB which won't start production for 12 more months.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #34

That's awesome. Lots of crappy ideas have come to life using a Home Depot bucket, but I'm here to tell ya that's one of the best I've seen!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #35

How about a simple solution?
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
This is more or less what I have, but a different brand. I put a seat on a short (3.5 gal) black bucket from Home Depot (has the same size rim as a 5 gal)... I use the wag bags for #2 as necessary, and keep the bucket nice and clean. It is small, and it can double use for putting out campfires or getting water for other purposes (emphasis on the bags keep it clean!). #1 is the local flora, or a dedicated nalgene for late night / cold night / populated location.

It's a little short for everyone's comfort, but works for me since I simply don't have space in my van to store it - it continues to blow me away how everyone else seems to cram so much stuff in theirs along with spouses and gnomes and pets. I'm obviously doing something wrong, or am too fussy about keeping things neat (or both).

I regret my fervor in putting in so much cabinetry... should have stayed with a simpler "transformer" design. Maybe the next one... or maybe I'll pop in on 86Scotty with a few cases of his favorite beverages and grovel for help in rebuilding the interior!
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #37
Site Team

For those middle-of-the-night moments, I carry Travel Johns. Not a graceful act in our teardrop, but stepping out in cold or bad weather isn't a lot of fun either. Natually only good for a 10-100 (Number 1).

https://www.amazon.com/TravelJohn-Di...ds=travel+john

Herb
Old 01-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #38

2 primary requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
Reasonably comfy seat is one, but the Gamma Lid seal is, uh, ...#2. I want to stick with the Gamma to contain smell and eliminate any question of spills. I prefer the Gamma's easy spin on/off sealing to the PITA of 'regular' snap-on lids. I am fine with making some kind of seat that would go on top. If something 'store bought' like the above would work with a Gamma in place, that would be fine, too.

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #39
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
That's awesome. Lots of crappy ideas have come to life using a Home Depot bucket, but I'm here to tell ya that's one of the best I've seen!

The lid is important to me because I store the bucket (actually two side by side) in my bumper bag. One is the head & the other is trash. I don't want either to get water in the buckets so the seal is great.
The Restop buckets are expensive but I got mine at a equipment show for free. You might be able to purchase the seat from them but I'm sure they would come with a high price. Still I don't like sitting on a groover especially if I'm catching up on the latest Expo article.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1184 - Copy.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote