Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 03:35 AM   #21

Re: Toilet Options

Portapotti n cassette toilet tanks can be dumped into any toilet or pit toilet. Marine tank must be dumped into a sewer or dump station at a campground. My current rig has marine toillete with only 7.5 glns. I think SMB uses 10 glns . I have a cleanout at home so no issues if we're only out for a few days but out for longer and we need to find dump station. I miss the Thetford Curve in the last rig. Comfy and easy to deal with . Just make sure you open valve before using if you change elevation or you could get pee fountain or worse.

stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
So far all I've used are bags and a tent. But you have to pack out the bags and throwing those away is NOT fun. I find those also not only cause a smell problem but finding a place to get rid of can be an issue plus it takes up space for other trash. I want to put a box on the bumper for a PP but have to factor in cold weather. I don't know how a earth crapper is affected by freezing temps but if they require a vent that might be a deal breaker.
The cleanwaste bags claim they can be landfill dumped. At river takeouts and such they have rules about disposal because of the large amount of waste being disposed of, but away from such places I've usually found disposal solutions. I've never had a smell problem, either with use in the van or on a river or other trip.

Maybe you could use a poop tube like climbers use, basically a PVC/ABS 4" pipe with some sort of seat fitting. I've got a long tube (not for poop, but for other storage) mounted on my running board. Or the more modern equivalent (although pricier): http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/waste_case.html
Old 06-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage

I've got a dedicated water tight river bag that I use and it does a good job until it's time to dump it Cat litter helps a lot but is one more thing to haul and increases costs. Still I have enough problems finding places to dump garbage when out and about and find myself micro managing trash altogether. More and more I'm seeing signs stating pack it in/pack it out, no dumping or garbage containers are for paid campers only. Seems stupid considering some off road campers will just dump it in the back country

That said a composting toilet seems to take care of several problems other than its overall size. If the compost won't freeze at reasonable temps (20-32*) I'd be very interested it it. I've used forest service composting vaulted heads and was surprised the odor was basically non existent.

I don't mind the bags but as retirement creeps up on me I'm looking for a long term solution for extended trips.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #24

Lots of good input. Thanks to all. I really like the idea of a composting toilet especially for long term off the grid camping. What a great adventure.
Distantdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:00 AM   #25

We got a porta potty with the SMB, but I have never used it because I didn't want (have been afraid?) to clean it. Before our recent camping trip with three little ones, I picked up a seat and wag bags at Cabelas "just in case." We used it three times. Worked great. Sealed bags went in the Trasharoo with the rest of the garbage. With one still in diapers, we already have poo in the Trasharoo, so what's a little more?

For the record, in our family boys and girls all go find a bush if it's #1.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:50 AM   #26
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Toilet Options

We also use the porta potti that came with our rig, dumping and cleaning has just become part of our routine during and after our trips. As mentioned, it can be dumped in pit toilets instead of having to pay to use a dump station at a campground if you're not staying there, although we've used our fair share of those too. There's always the poop bags in a bucket and a gamma screw lid setup, we use this at Lake Powell instead of using our pump out head on the boat which is a real PITA!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:03 PM   #27

Wow. All of this info is so helpful. I am just starting out and wondered what you legally have to do to get rid of the waste. Thank you all so much. Love this site.
sillysal54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #28

We have used Port a Potti for almost 50 years. We are now on our 2nd (or is it third??) one. Our van through aisle layout has a dedicated bathroom in the rear (closet, Port-a-potty, sink) so there is no need to pull it out or put it away. There are several sizes out there. I would recommend ignoring those that have the fresh water tank larger then the black water tank, that makes no sense to me. We have own the manual models.

Simple, reliable, easy to repair (pump bellows replaced on second unit at 15 years). Easy to empty in a forest out house, easy to dump in toilet, little harder to empty at dump station w ground level sewer hole but can be done.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysal54
Wow. All of this info is so helpful. I am just starting out and wondered what you legally have to do to get rid of the waste. Thank you all so much. Love this site.
Depends (not the diapers, although no one has mentioned THAT option, I mean it depends on where you are).

There aren't always specific laws, but generally you need to use dump stations for black water disposal, although you'll see people with cassette toilets dumping in pit toilets. There are even rules for compost disposal in some places, and for diapers in others, which might cover wag bags too. They tend to be fussy in areas where it's an issue, like river takeouts, some trailheads where wag bags are required, campgrounds, the more regulated dispersed camping areas, etc. As they say about roads, inquire locally. And use common sense.

By the way, surplus 20mm "rocket boxes" make great toilets with these: http://www.nrs.com/product/2729/eco-safe-toilet-system

Or DIY. The boxes themselves can be had pretty cheap at places like Sportsmanguide.com. And the metal boxes are usable for other stuff, so you can leave the internal toilet system behind when you don't use it, and use the box for other storage. I have some mounted on the rear of my van.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:47 AM   #30

Garage
Go Anywhere Portable Toilet

Adding to this thread...

We have a regular porta potty in our travel trailer and I've always found that to be perfect when you have the room. But I wanted something smaller to fit the transformer nature of my van: there for trips, out when daily driving. Finally settled on this briefcase-sized potty, made for the WagBag disposable system. It's really sturdy, actually more so than the porta potties we've had.

We also use those bags for the trailer porta potty for solid waste and they couldn't work better.

Apologize for the sideways pics.