Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #1

Transit High Roof Extended Body Mockup

I currently own a 1999 4wd E350 with a Sportsmobile pop top conversion. It's been great, but I've been thinking about doing a new Sportsmobile build.

I'd like to do a van that my wife and I can walk in without having to pop the top. I'm 6'5", so interior heights, bed lengths and seat leg rooms are an issue. My wife is short, so that issue is just for one of us. She needs a toilet, and a shower option would be a nice to have. Due to my size, and the fact that I'd go on some trips with different photography and/or fishing buddies, two beds are a requirement.

The new Transit van has the tallest interior, so that's what I've focused on. The three primary uses for the van would be wildlife photography, fishing trips and hauling cargo around (when I'm not using the van for other stuff).

I've done a detailed mock up in Google Sketchup and have linked a video clip below. This is a plan-in-progress that I've worked on for a while, making edits after using my current van on long and short trips, and around town. I've figured out what works and doesn't work for me in the current van, and what I'd like to add/change.

I'm looking for thoughts, feedback, suggestions and comments. Especially if you see something in my plan that won't work.

Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mdyorowzj...Floor.mp4?dl=0

Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #2

First I think you must have way to much time on your hands. Second that is a pretty sweet and detailed sketch up. Nice job! I like the layout a lot.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

Wow - that looks great! And well thought out too!

My only suggestion would be to start looking at weight distribution. Kitchen galleys tend to be heavy once packed up, so it may not be the best placement for the water tank, although it does greatly simplify plumbing, so it might be worth it.

Also, the batteries are another heavy item, so having them all the way in the may not be the best.

Are you going with single rear wheels, or dual? DRW will mitigate weight issues quite a bit, but going SRW may be worth setting up a weight spreadsheet, so you don't end up with a van that overloads the rear tires empty.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedbak. I put the batteries, generator, electronics and propane on the right side to help balance the load. I could definitely move the batteries up in front of the rear tires, but not sure I can bring them all the way up. I want that front space under the gaucho for camera gear. There is space for them under the gaucho though.

I did do the plumbing all on the left side for coordination. Plus the galley is permanent. The gaucho is removable, so if I put water under there, that kind of defeats the purpose of removing the gaucho.

The cassette toilet has its own water supply, so that puts some of the load forward. The grey water is there on the left in part because you can use grey water in the cassette toilet's water supply for flushing, per their web site.

Water on the right side would free up space under the galley though. I do have space for the water under the gaucho, so that could work if I need to move it.

On the wheels, I would like to do a 4wd Quigley conversion as well, so I think I can't do dual rear tires with that. Not sure about that. I could beef up the tires and back suspension when/if I did a conversion.

One thought I just had while reading your post is to put the microwave into the right side cabinet and the fly rods under the left side cabinet. I could pull the MW forward, but need to watch the head room over the gaucho, because the gaucho will be high due to the generator box underneath.

Also, the roof cabinet on the left is shallow and lighter. The roof cabinet on the right is bigger and deeper, so I can load filled tubs directly into the cabinet. I'll play around with it some more. The MW may fit in the right cabinet better either way. Plus I could have longer rods (spey rods?) under the left cabinet. The shower curtain might be an issue with the rods, though.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #5

Are you going to sell your E350? Regular or extended? Gas or diesel? I might be interested...
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #6

Well, I will, but it would be a while before I'd do that. I use it and will until I build a replacement. It's a long body, gas engine, former people hauler that a guy in Utah converted. The "bench/bed" was hand built by the prior owner. Here's more info from the ad I bought it from a few years ago:

Sportsmobile 4X4 camper van. Ford E350 EB, V10, exterior color white, grey and tan interior, penthouse (pop up) roof, penthouse bed, couch/bench pulls out into bed. Sleeps 4. 110V system, 12V system, 3 CF refrigerator, stove, propane system, furnace, fresh water system, sink, porta potti, vinyl flooring, swivel passenger seat, table, CO detector, Fiamma awning, door panel storage, door panel doors open down into small exterior cocktail tables when doors are open. Emergency start, Yakima mounts, ladder, tow package, electric drivers seat, dual airbags, AC, heat, 4X4 was installed in late 07 at 60,000 miles by Advanced 4X4 in Salt Lake City, Ut. RV package was installed in 04 by Sportsmobile.

I'd have to check, but it's got about 120k miles on it now. I've done a little work on it. Upgraded the suspension. Moved the driver's seat back some for my legs. Added some steps.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #7

Transit High Roof Extended Body Mockup

Very slick, well thought out.

One thing to be aware of: I don't believe a tall person would be comfortable sleeping on a sideways platform bed. Check out Orton's measurements somewhere on fordtransitusaforum.com.
yelnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #8

Yep, I wouldn't fit on the platform bed. It's too short. I would sleep on the long Gaucho. My wife and/or buddies get the platform bed. The gaucho is 36" wide when extended out. The platform is about 30" wide. Two sheets at about 15" each. Can be used as singles for storage or two for a platform bed.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Well, I will, but it would be a while before I'd do that. I use it and will until I build a replacement. It's a long body, gas engine, former people hauler that a guy in Utah converted. The "bench/bed" was hand built by the prior owner. Here's more info from the ad I bought it from a few years ago:

Sportsmobile 4X4 camper van. Ford E350 EB, V10, exterior color white, grey and tan interior, penthouse (pop up) roof, penthouse bed, couch/bench pulls out into bed. Sleeps 4. 110V system, 12V system, 3 CF refrigerator, stove, propane system, furnace, fresh water system, sink, porta potti, vinyl flooring, swivel passenger seat, table, CO detector, Fiamma awning, door panel storage, door panel doors open down into small exterior cocktail tables when doors are open. Emergency start, Yakima mounts, ladder, tow package, electric drivers seat, dual airbags, AC, heat, 4X4 was installed in late 07 at 60,000 miles by Advanced 4X4 in Salt Lake City, Ut. RV package was installed in 04 by Sportsmobile.

I'd have to check, but it's got about 120k miles on it now. I've done a little work on it. Upgraded the suspension. Moved the driver's seat back some for my legs. Added some steps.
Ok thanks for the info. I'm looking for a 7.3 RB, but good luck if and when you sell it.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #10

Garage
Regarding the sleep sideways issue Van Specialties has a really cool pop out that makes the van wider for sleeping. They have a slide out and hard version. I've seen them in person and they are really cool without making the van look like it has a tumor.

Tags
ford, sportsmobile, transit