Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #11

Somebody on here was about to buy a manual (might have been an earlier year) but realized that you give up the center console in the van to have it. I like my SMB automatic, I get enough manual experience in the Jeep- of course that was before they were putting cruise control in the manual Jeeps.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #12

Yeah, I don't think a manual trans has been available since the vans went to this body - 92.

Somebody on the Dieselstop site was trying to convert one. I'll bet the computer interface would really make that a nightmare!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:26 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to bgoetting
I also wish I had Tow-Haul, especially when I'm pulling a couple horses in my trailer but this five speed is pretty good for an automatic. When I get into steep stuff, I switch my 4x4 selector into LO and I'm happy again.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #14

I like using 2wd Lo on the atlas for coming down steep mountain roads, well that was until I realized I'm taking 4x the miles off my warranty!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
But that's the same while in 4-low also, right? I wonder if you can deal with Ford on this issue.
As far as tow haul, I had a Ford shop say they could install it but way more than I wanted to pay. OD control and good brakes are cheaper.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #16

I doubt it, pointing to the atlas and saying, but there is more warranty because I've been tooling around in LO with my 4x4 is probably not a winning tact! It's only about 500miles in 50000 if I recall my estimate number correctly, and if the van fails at 75100 the gods are not smiling at that point anyway...

4 lo engages both the front and rear axle- most 4x4s, Jeeps, trucks, and Quigley. The Atlas and some other transfer cases can have a twin stick, which the Sportsmobiles have which allows engagement of the axles separately. So those of us with the SMB 4x4 and Atlas can drive on pavement in low range with only the rear axle engaged. Doing that (driving on pavement) with a traditional transfer case engaged in lo is a good way to ruin your transfer case.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage
My God what was I thinking? Ford to give in to a customer? I should have remembered every time I was at the shop.

As far as 4x4, I had a switch put in my chevy to keep from engaging into full four wheel drive while in 4-low. Works well on steep paved roads.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote