Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #1

Garage
TWOLOST: Bringing our SMB back to Sportsmobile for check-up

I am thinking of bringing our 2007 EB350 Diesel SMB back to Sportsmobile (Fresno) for a check-up in early April (assuming SMB West will be able to see me at that time). There are a few minor things that I would like to have fixed… and while I am there I would also like to have our van undergo a thorough inspection as well. Nothing is obviously wrong but I would like a knowledgeable Sportsmobile tech to just give our van a top to bottom inspection in order to proactively catch any potential issues that customers with similar builds may have already reported. Currently, our van is at the 20K mile mark.

Some of the things I am looking to have fixed:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Alarm
Search Light
Aluminess rear bumper (bushing replacement)
Fridge is out of square and rack no longer fits
Drivers seat (patch wear area)
Drivers side sliding window (fix seal leak)

A few updates:
Passenger side, rear, interior cabinet door – replace with new single door, open toward rear.
Add wiring for roof camera and underbody camera
Add sun visor snaps (to hold visors in place)
Hella tire pressure monitor install

General Service:
Total vehicle inspection (test all batteries, u-joints, electrical wiring, etc…)
Front diff, oil change
Rear diff, oil change
Transmission, oil change
Transfer case, oil change
Generator, oil change
Disassemble, clean, grease… 4x4 hubs

Have any of you done this before?

If so, what should I expect?

Thanks,
---TWOLOST---

Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/albums/adventure/)
twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Re: TWOLOST: Bringing our SMB back to Sportsmobile for check-up

Just anticipate being there for at least a whole day or two. Also touch base with Peter making sure they have the equipment (parts) for what is needed for your repairs. My wife and I did a COUPLE of warranty issues early this year and it took the whole day (almost 10hrs). However, Peter and the staff tried their best to accommodate us in the waiting room (should've towed my wife's car) . Good luck!

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Site Team

I don't have the Hella TPMS, but I have seen quite a few complaints here. Unless your mind is made up and firm, you may want to do a search and talk to some people here before you go that route.

Sounds like a good plan for a 20K checkup. Bring things to keep you busy in the waiting room, there's not much in the area within walking distance to do or see.

Herb
Old 03-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #4

Garage

Thanks Ray & Herb.

I have budgeted three days for Sportsmobile to perform whatever service work is needed (and can extend one day more if absolutely required). Also, I plan to stay in a hotel (roughly five miles away from Sportsmobile) so I can work remotely while the van is being serviced.

I have most all of the parts and service items with me already (including the Hella stuff) - but will make certain that everything else is accounted for before I show up.

Would you recommend Peter as the main point of contact for me scheduling this appointment? Since driving our van off of the lot in September 2007, I have not been in contact with Sportsmobile since. The only email address I have now is info@sportsmobile.com.

Cheers,
---TWOLOST---

Cheers,
Old 03-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Just call SMB West and speak to Peter directly. I think he is one of the production managers. I agree with Herb on the Hella TPMS. We have it and its a PITA when its not working correctly (almost 50%), but when it is........its a nice to monitor your ire pressure, almost feel like your in the cockpit!

What are your uses for the new camera positons, if you don't mind me asking.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #6

Garage

I had purchased the Hella unit a while ago when the unit was relatively new (just out of Beta). It seemed like a very good option to have at the time... with all of the reports of BFG failures on our really heavy rigs. I have already had the tire inflator monitors placed in each wheel when I put new tires on the van and just never got around to installing the receiver.

As for the new camera positions, I had purchased a backup camera system that would support feeds from the rear as well as the two side view mirrors. At the time the system was installed, I only ever had the rear hooked up. Now, still having no need for the side view mirror additions, I figured I would add one additional camera to the roof (cab looking backward) and one tucked up into the undercarriage. The one on the roof is just for fun (to see what rascal animal is scampering around up there in the night). The other is a little more practical (helping me sight how close I am to dragging my undercarriage generator).

Thanks,
---TWOLOST---

Cheers,
Old 03-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #7

I'm not sure that SMB has the skills or tools needed to do routine inspections or oil changes including oil and filter disposals, etc. Those things can be done by your local Ford dealer. My dealer has worked on the Warn hubs, all oil changes, etc. Your Ford dealer would have the expertise to test the starter battery (but not the house battery), change all of the oil, etc. I don't know of a good way to check the house battery condition but you'll know when it isn't working as it should.

As for the Hella TMS, ours still goes out once in a while but is working much better after Alan Feld worked with Hella and they sent an entire new package of components...I replaced the main components but didn't replace the tire senders since I didn't want to pay for rebalancing the tires.

The camera stuff would be done by the subcontractor that works with SMB (I can't remember their name since they were different then) but Peter would be able to coordinate that work at the same time.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #8

Garage

Roger that.

Thanks,
---TWOLOST---

Cheers,
Old 03-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
The camera stuff would be done by the subcontractor that works with SMB (I can't remember their name since they were different then) but Peter would be able to coordinate that work at the same time.
Integrated Audio Solutions, owned and run by Rob Radonovich, with the hands-on work done at SMBw by Randy who works for Rob. I've always coordinated this work through SMBw.

Herb
Old 03-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #10

This is way off topic but I checked out your gallery and noticed you carry a lot of weight on top of your penthouse when it is raised ( 3 gas cans and more). I have a similar set up with a full Aluminess rack with an electric top on a Sprinter chassis. I had Aluminess use 3/4 inch tubing to reduce the weight but I still busted a bolt in the lift hardware. Luckily it happened in the driveway but it was a real hassle to get it closed tight so I could get it up to SMB in Fresno. The easily replaced the bolt and I am hoping it was a fluke. Any one had any trouble like this?
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote