Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #1

Usable Space Where Prop Tank Would Be

Hi Everyone, I have not seen in any threads about converting the propane tank area into a usable storage locker.

We are a current owner of a 1994 Dodge EB and are planning a new build. Since we have only cooked outside (so far), done sponge baths (motel-it for showers), and are fair-weather campers, we are looking to eliminate the propane system. We use water jugs at the picnic tables.

I would like to see the spot where the propane tank would be turned into a usable storage cubby.

Has anyone done or have seen a conversion? Of course, the hatch would be much larger. I could picture something like a very big glove box.

A little background on this idea. My dad had a 1972 Ford camper/custom special. The truck had on the side of the bed, kind of low, a lockable storage cubby where the disposal tube stuff were stored. I've not be able to find a pic of this locker.

I have mentioned this to Nick at SMBWest and was given the impression this had never been done before. If we did have SMBWest somehow work out a plan, it would be at the least, $1,000 to $2,000.

Things I would like to store here would be the small canisters of propane for portable camp stoves and misc. items like, levelers, wheel chocks, and what-have-you.

Any thoughts from this Great, Vast, Experienced, and Knowledgeable forum would be most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
094.jpg   105.jpg  

walbloem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #2

Re: Usable Space Where Prop Tank Would Be

SMB sells the propane access door separately on their Sportsmobile Store website. I assume it's designed for the contours of Ford vans, but have no idea. On Fords there is space between the outside body sheet metal and the frame, which is where they put the propane tank. Seems like it would be an easy mod to cut-in the access door and create some sort of storage area behind it. You could even make the cubby out of wood if you wanted to keep it simple. Otherwise I think a metal mesh of some sort would probably make sense, assuming you aren't storing anything that isn't weather-proof.

I've thought about doing this on my Ford EB, which does not have propane. But so far I haven't really needed the space.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #3

Re: Usable Space Where Prop Tank Would Be

You might be able to fit one of these underbed boxes in there.

http://www.weatherguard.com/truck_tool_ ... bcat_id=11