Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #1

Very Basic Camper

I have been drooling over the Sportsmobiles on their website for years but the cost is just too much for me and I don't really need or want 110 electric or water. I have looked at van conversions from other manufacturers but they don't offer that awesome penthouse top! I am thinking that I just need a basic Ford 2wd RB with a couch/bed and some storage. Maybe a 12 volt system for lighting/fridge/microwave? Does SMB do this kind of work? I would have to use it as my daily driver with some weekend camping trips and occasional cross country trips to explore and visit family back east. I live in CA. but visiting/ordering from Indiana or TX would not be a problem. Thanks for any info or advice.

Whitely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Very Basic Camper

SMB will build it just about any way you want. With some pre-planning, you can even build it in phases.

Herb
Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
SMB will build it just about any way you want. With some pre-planning, you can even build it in phases.
Yeah, plenty of "top-only" rigs by them. But sometimes minimal builds pop up used, and you might get further applying the ~5K to a rig with something you don't need over starting from scratch and adding a top, if you don't have a particular desire to DIY.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #4

What jage said. I also drool at the really nice ones that many other members have but with kids I can't justify a full conversion so I only did the electric PH top. I drive my E350 almost everyday although I don't drive far. The PH gets us out of a tent and that's the most important thing for me followed by easy setup and take down. I carry water, Coleman propane stove, MrBuddy heaters for the morning outside, and super insulated ice chest. The rest of the camping gear is stored in RubberMaid tubs and they all fit neatly behind row 3. row 4 is removed. I carry a Duracell 12V source for the kids GameBoys etc. SMB also added the Thule tracks and I have a cargo box on top for the camping chairs and sleeping bags. This basic setup works well for me. The major hurdle was getting the electric PH top. A little pricey but worth it for me.

Ray
06 E350 RB
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #5

Thanks for your advice and ideas guys. I didn't know I could build it in stages. Cheers to SMB for being so flexible. That shows good customer service in my book. I would love to tour the factory sometime in Indiana. Do they give tours? Anyway, thanks also for the idea of just putting a PH top on a E350 passenger van and deleting a row or two. Hadn't thought of that one. Had thought of putting a PH on a cargo van but then you need to install (or have installed in my case) windows and insulation etc. or you end up sleeping in a freezing steel box! Thanks again
Old 08-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #6

The guys at SMB Fresno are great and encouraged me to bring it back should I consider additional staged additions. I think I'd eventually like to get to a '50' floor plan but not until our kids have outgrown camping with Mom & Dad. With our current usage SMB suggested the old Transformer config. I know its no longer listed but they would certainly build one should I request it.

About removing a row of seats ... I removed the 4th row bench (the 4 person one) and installed it where the 3rd row is using the existing mounts on the floor. (The 3rd row bench is currently in my garage and unloved.) That way the seatbelts stay the same and I get additional length (about 66in) so one kid can easily nap across the full length of the bench. We can't do that on a 3 person bench and that gap or aisle way was completely useless to us.

I'll get pictures up someday ...

Ray
06 E350 RB
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
The guys at SMB Fresno are great and encouraged me to bring it back should I consider additional staged additions. I think I'd eventually like to get to a '50' floor plan but not until our kids have outgrown camping with Mom & Dad. With our current usage SMB suggested the old Transformer config. I know its no longer listed but they would certainly build one should I request it.

About removing a row of seats ... I removed the 4th row bench (the 4 person one) and installed it where the 3rd row is using the existing mounts on the floor. (The 3rd row bench is currently in my garage and unloved.) That way the seatbelts stay the same and I get additional length (about 66in) so one kid can easily nap across the full length of the bench. We can't do that on a 3 person bench and that gap or aisle way was completely useless to us.

I'll get pictures up someday ...

Ray
06 E350 RB
While my SMB didn't start it's life as a Transformer, that's pretty much the configuration I have had for a number of years now. Let me know if you want any pics or opinions on that model.

Herb
Old 08-19-2011, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
While my SMB didn't start it's life as a Transformer, that's pretty much the configuration I have had for a number of years now. Let me know if you want any pics or opinions on that model.
Or to BUY it...
Old 08-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #9

I would love to see pictures of the transformer as I am not familiar with that layout. Also pics of that RB350 passenger van with the PH would be cool. Thanks for all the info. Also, does the E350 have that much more interior space than a E150 or is it mainly the suspension capability? Forgive my ignorance I never owned a van before. Thanks
Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitely
I would love to see pictures of the transformer as I am not familiar with that layout. Also pics of that RB350 passenger van with the PH would be cool. Thanks for all the info. Also, does the E350 have that much more interior space than a E150 or is it mainly the suspension capability? Forgive my ignorance I never owned a van before. Thanks
Attached is the old ad for SMB's Transformer that somebody else archived. I can't vouch whether SMB still offers this or not. For more pics, the thread that Jage linked to is my For Sale ad that has quite a few pictures. If you need pics of something else, let me know.

Herb

[EDIT: with regards to your question on interior space, the E150, E250 and E350 have the same interior space, with the only differences being the Regular Body (RB) versus the Extended Body (EB), which is 18" longer. Same wheelbase, just longer in the back.]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sm_transformer_flyer.pdf (488.3 KB, 138 views)