Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Re: Water tank - what to get?

"Where to sling"

Mine are two 16 gal. tanks, side by side under the gaucho. See my post above...
Bill

Old 01-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #12

Thanks for THIS info, all. My 'build' is a 92 diesel which I have not picked up up yet. The skiing in UT has been great the last few weeks ! The info gathering processing continues.

I, too, enjoy plenty of water and desire a capable showering system as a/the major design criteria.
On water STORAGE I was looking at my home water treatment system and though the fiberglass
tank(s) to be a viable consideration for tankage . Easy to fabricate valving & plumbing due to fiberglass construction. pressure source for flow will come from my onboard winch/compressor (perhaps more simple is a 12v pump!) and under floor mounting seems viable. I am certain the home water treatment people have these tanks around 'a plenty.

Anyone been down this road regarding storage ? Is my engine coolant/water heat exchanger the most practical solution to heating water ? I am not oppossed to running the diesel as needed to heat water, charge up batts & confirm system ops ?
AltaPowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #13

I really like the propane h/w tank as I run it overnight and it stays hot-warm all day. Showers don't really take much water, you're not standing in there like at home- rinse with the button, soap up, shampoo, rinse. It's not as much fun as it looks standing behind the bumper in 40° F and showering. It also give ~6 gallons of emergency water (not normally accessible).

My suggestion is to go with the 17g SMB tank and then worry about adding water storage yourself once you're accustomed to your needs and can find all the options... SMBs decisions might not be ideal past 17g, and with the one tank all the hard stuff is done. There are so many solutions, from under van containers, to Scepter, to PVC, collapsible jugs, to those 5 gallon water bottles (which fit perfectly behind the pantry in some vans), that taking up storage at build time with another tank would seem to be option limiting.

Incidentally I've only filled my 17g tank once while on an extended trip. I usually bring back more than half, even when out for more than 10 days, and that includes refilling the porta-potty flush tank from the van tank.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

We have a 20 gal tank, and we have two 5 gal Scepters that we can carry. We have never run dry completely.

We (3 of us) spent a week in the desert and did not use 25 gal. (we did have bottled water to reduce the amount of water used for drinking)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote