Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #1

What to bring when picking up a new SMB?

We've got our pick-up date, we've got our one-way flights to Fresno, and we've got the vacation days to make our way leisurely back home, including a couple days camping nearby in case we need to return to Fresno for follow-up tweaks or questions.

So, now we need to pack our go-bags!

What are the must-haves for our inaugural voyage? Beyond the obvious personal items, we're bringing bedding, minimal cookware, flashlights, basically just raiding our camping supplies, minus the no-fly items. I presume SMB provides leveling blocks? I'd rather not carry an entire toolbox, but are there any absolute essentials beyond a pocket-knife? Any consumables (like portapotti fluids or liners) we can't easily/cheaply get in Fresno that you wish you had?

The first 2 nights will be in my brother's driveway in Bakersfield, so I can buy & ship some staples directly to him, not to mention spending a day or two doing some local shopping.

We're not planning to do any serious off-roading right off the bat, and stick to established campsites until we're more comfortable with dispersed camping (i.e. getting stuck), but do hope to drive up to Yosemite, which in early November means snow chains on board. I think I'll have those shipped to my brother's, if I can get enough details on the stock tires for the 2017 Sprinter RB 4x4. In the same vein, maybe a shovel should be considered essential? Ah, the combo ice-scraper/snow-brush should definitely come along!

This must be a previously asked question, but the topic is so generic I couldn't find anything with Search.

AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
We shipped our stuff to SMB directly. Arrived with dogs, toothbrushes and a change of clothes.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #3

Anything you forget will be easily available along the way, just don't forget your credit card.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
Site Team

I bought used, but I don't think SMB provides leveling blocks or much of anything else unless you specifically purchased it.

Herb
Old 10-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #5

I'm sure SMB can give you some scrap ply wood that you can stack for leveling.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Anything you forget will be easily available along the way, just don't forget your credit card.
Assuming our credit is still good after paying for this thing!

But yeah, I'm hoping to avoid buying duplicates of anything expensive we already have lying around the garage just because we forgot to pack or ship them.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #7

Congratulations! We did the same when we flew to Austin to pick up Flint last year. We took along two sleeping bags and a few essentials, including a small tool kit, then we picked up what we needed along the way. Like you, we had most everything at home and thus didn’t want to duplicate much, but we got along fine. We ate more restaurant meals than we normally would and stocked up at delis along the way and then we outfitted the cooking supplies when we got home.

Austin supplied us with two pillows, a grey water drain hose and a 30’ electric cord with adapter, beyond that it was a bare (but beautiful) van. I had mapped the location of a nearby Camping World and WalMart and that took care of the few essentials we wanted for along the way.

One thing I was going to do and didn’t, which I regret, was to weigh the bare van as it weighed leaving SMB. I had the location of a CAT scale but with everything else going on it didn’t get done.

Post #72 of my build thread contains a simple checklist that I took with me on pick up day. It really helped to organize the day and kept me on track, I would suggest you do something similar.

Yosemite is almost always crowded, be sure and make reservations. We are in Walnut Creek, consider us a stopover point in the Bay Area if you need something as you pass through.

Enjoy!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:01 AM   #8

Fresno is a pretty big city, they have a Camping World store. I'd arrive w/a small flyable version of my go bag, a wheel aboard suitcase, and figure it out after taking ownership.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
Site Team

Garage
X2 on the small tool kit and maybe a first aid kit. Make sure your vehicle insurance/towing is setup. They tell you to re-torque the wheels after 50 or 100 miles so consider that. All SMB gave me was a plug in voltmeter. Nothing for the porta potty no flashlights or batteries. I did get a air hose and pressure gauge with my compressor but I probably paid for that. Luxury items like chairs, BBQ, propane/butane and outside stuff can be purchased here. They do have a variety of camping items for sale but I don't know how their prices compare to a place like camping world. Pack like you're going backpacking and you should be OK.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #10

AAA card with RV+ upgrade. Regular membership isn't suppose to cover a full camper van conversion. Some operators won't big deal it, but with RV+ you're definitely covered. Ford roadside service will only tow you to the nearest dealer. AAA will go wherever you want within 100 miles, and the overage milage rate is much more reasonable than most operator's retail rates.