Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #11

Help needed

I think Herb nailed it with his comment that SMB West is churning out a new $100K each each day, while us buyers are purchasing a $100K vehicle once in a lifetime. It's two totally different perspectives on the same vehicle.

I know SMB West (and the other two shops) really try to push good customer service, but it is difficult to pay the same level of attention to small details that some of us SMB purchasers are doing.

One last observation. I don't know any business that has yet utilized an Interent Community of users of its products really effectively yet. Some may be out there, but I haven't dealt with one. SMB and other business could learn a lot about helping their customers by more closely monitoring (and participating in) websites such as this SMB forum.

Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Quote:
I will say that if SMBw was mine, it would tell me my customers felt they weren't being communicated with enough.
Maybe Herb, but I'm more sympathetic with SMB's position on this one and would have the same policy myself if I owned SMB.

Being asked to provide build updates, via a conduit and not the actual customer, is a drain on resources, a potential liability to SMB and greatly multiplies the potential for mis-communication.

I've always found SMB's communication to be clear and direct when I've asked them myself, and that seems to be the typical experience of others too.

Just seems as if SMB has recently taken a harder line on this issue and made it "official".

Rob
I hear you Rob, but what I don't think SMBw realizes or fully comprehends, is that while $100K vehicles are just typical business for them, for most of us, it's a once (maybe twice) in a lifetime experience which can be a little nerve-wracking and overwhelming. In general, I've found SMBw fairly communicative when directly asked questions, but again if it were my business/livelihood, I'd make it a point to proactively communicate with customers who've placed an order, at least every two weeks as a standard business practice. I agree communications via a third party can create problems, but it's because the customers aren't getting enough communication, is why many have resorted to third party means.

Herb[/quote]

You're right Herb, the big price tag and rarity of an SMB purchase are important to consider. But I think there are two issues here that need to be separated. One is the frequency and nature of communication with new SMB owners, especially during the build phase. The other is their policy towards communication through third parties. To me, it makes perfect sense to not communicate or give updates to third parties. The potential for legal trouble or other communication SNAFUs is just too great. We've all played the "pass it on game" and know what often happens....... The fact that SMBw now has an explicit policy on this issue is prima facie evdience that this issue has created problems for them in the past.

On their communication skills and policies with actual customers, there may be room for improvement. They have always done a good job in my view, but I realize we all have different needs/desires as SMB owners.

I'd bet the odds of someone at SMB monitoring this board are 95%+, so hopefully they get the message and respond. I'm active on a few other boards and things always seem to go bad when companies use these boards to reply to concerns or post updates. Best to remain in listen only mode IMHO.

Rob
Old 11-08-2007, 03:06 PM   #13

Yeah, well if they're listening I'm still pissed off about the $80 of specialty food they ruined!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
And,...for what it is worth, our van has NOT been delivered to SMB West by Ford as yet..... I got no communication from SMB that it was no longer on schedule, and I asked three times before I got an answer.... and it was just "No" ...meaning it was not there yet.

Communication is a key to customer service, and for a business like SMB, good customer srevice, customer referals, and word of mouth has to be a HUGE benefit for their business.

I know this is going to be a long process, so I am going to try and be very patient. We were originally told it would be March or April before we got our van, then it was moved up to December, but if it has not made it to SMB West yet.... well, it ain't gonna be a Christmas present...
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We got a new answer today, that our van is to be built by Ford starting 19 Nov, so I guess it will be to SMB West sometime after Thanksgiving.

Looking on the positive side, we have more time to think and make decisions!

(patience, patience, patience)
Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #16

Rumor has it that our van has arrived from Ford by rail-car at SMB West... hoping for confirmation tomorrow...
Old 12-05-2007, 11:28 PM   #17

Good deal, bro. Hope to see you on the road soon! What kind of completion date are you getting now?
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:22 AM   #18

Mum is the word so far...... no word.

We were told that SMBW would be getting it into the schedule and getting us a date for 4x4 completion.....but no word yet.

(patience, patience, patience)
Old 12-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #19

Who is close to SMb CA ? help needed

I wonder if the volume at SMB West has picked up to the point where it's hard for them to keep track of individual customers' vehicles.

Does anybody know how many vehicles are produced by each of the three SMB plants per day / week / month or year?
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:51 AM   #20

One of the folks in Austin told me that all 3 facilities combined produce about 300 vehicles a year.