Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #1

Aluminess box

Those of you who have the Aluminess box do you wish you went with the bigger version if you have the Galley. What are the reasons?

Those of you who have the bigger deluxe box do you wish you went smaller for any reason?

I currently just have the standard tray and I am going to be upgrading to the box. With a family of four storage is always a good thing. What box would you choose?

http://www.aluminess.com/boxes.htm

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Aluminess box

The baja box.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #3

I have the deluxe box and see no reason to go smaller. We're also four people traveling in the van.

I can fit an assortment of camp chairs, stoves, sleeping bags, water jugs, soccer balls, etc. It's the only way to keep the inside clear of clutter! When I'm running with it less than full, I use my picnic blanket or other soft padding to stop things from moving around and possibly denting the box from the inside. This winter I plan on putting in some tie down points.

As an added bonus, you can run some bicycle rack trays across the top of the box and still clear the spare tire.

It's amazing how much stuff can fit into this box. Combined with the bumper, it's possibly the most expensive 6 cubic feet of storage I've ever purchased!! but also a lifesaver on any length of trip.

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Probably depends on what you're going to haul. I have a larger two piece box. Pics are in my gallery.
I can carry a variety of stuff in the bottom box.
4-jerry cans or wood, and sometimes a 5 gal tank of propane and a propane fire place. The top box is for my BBQ and a 1 gal propane bottle for camp.

I wish I would have had the top box removable where I could take it off and pop on the standard open box that came with the bumper. Modular would be nice.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #5

I like the baja box because the top is low enough so loading an ice chest or spare water container onto the top of it is easier.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Aluminess box

We had the Deluxe Box with a custom rack for our tandem bike. It was one of the best options in our Rig. Stored our Honda 2000 generator and lots of other things in there. when not using the bike rack, I put our Yakima Basket on top of the box and load it up! Will post pics later.

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #7

We have the galley box. Its a perfect fit for our Grill. The fold down door forms a work surface to put the grill on. I installed two drawers above the grill that I store easy to get to tools and such. On top fits two 5 gallon water containers. I like that it doesn't block the view out of the rear window.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
We have the galley box. Its a perfect fit for our Grill. The fold down door forms a work surface to put the grill on. I installed two drawers above the grill that I store easy to get to tools and such. On top fits two 5 gallon water containers. I like that it doesn't block the view out of the rear window.

That was my concern as well seeing out the rear window... I would primarily use it as a galley to store the stove, pots/pans, propane and to cook from. For me I also have a Thule bike rack integrated/bolted into the Aluminess which SMB installed. I can still use the bike rack with the galley box but not with the deluxe box.

But the deluxe box has a lot of storage room!!!! Our last trip we had a lot of bags in the roof mounted Thule rocket box and had to shuttle it all back and forth from the ladder before popping the top (manual). A real pain in downpour rain. We are always looking for more storage opportunities. It is great hearing the pros and cons before buying.

Thanks keep it coming.

Surfgeek...... nice love the storage!!!!!
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #10

Aluminess box

I've got the galley box. I'm a big fan of the table space it creates. It is the perfect fit for my recovery gear. Fits two large ARB recovery bags (one for straps, one for tools) very nicely, plus ARB tire repair kit, plus room for a shelf above (yet to add shelf).

My Jeep experience tells me that easy access to recovery gear is key when you need it. If it is in the van, high probability it gets buried (at least in my case).

Oh, and I too like to be able to see out the window.