Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #1

another bike rack idea

Hello out there, new to the forums and gathering ideas to build on. I've seen some bike racks before that stand the bikes up hanging on the back of a vehicle (ideally without removing front wheel). Not sure if skewer racks would hold up, but has anyone seen or done this? I'm thinking i would hang a yakima or thule roof rack some sorta way on the back of the van, but split in a way to still use the doors, 2 bikes on each side. Anyone know if this will work. I wouldn't think this would overstress the doors since they would only be subject to gravitational force when closed, but ideas/input appreciated.

thx

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #2

Garage
another bike rack idea

I had the exact same setup on my old suburban and it worked great. I used expanding rubber grommets that I was able to fish inside somehow ( I don't remember that part). Recently I saw some small expanding metal ones that rack guys use to attach the simple bar carriers right onto a roof. They looked super strong. I think it is doable.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

Re: another bike rack idea

I would not hang them by skewers. I had the fork tabs break off on a magnesium Rock Shocks once, which allowed the bike to pull off the rack (with the help of a small tree branch, but stayed on the roof). COnsidering where the bike would end up if it fell hanging off the back, I wouldn't trust it. Plus, most higher end forks are thru-axles.

Sounds like you need a North Shore rack. One is on my wish list.

http://northshoreracks.com/index.htm
Old 08-18-2011, 08:32 AM   #4

I went with a Thule 964 as it swing arms to the side. Been in use on my F250 and Jeep, waiting on an extension to clear the Aluminess boxes to ship.

The northshore is cool, but I couldn't personally lift the hitch and even two bikes back into place- and it's essentially still in the way of the SMB rear, which I access a lot. The 960 swing arm clamp and hitch lock each leave something to be desired, but as far as getting the bikes out of the way while loaded I'm hoping it will work for me when it's all together.

I wonder- for a single bike, could you do a single version of the north shore and have the rear doors miss the pole as they open? Essentially a non-folding version the doors swing past?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #5

I ordered the Baja Box / Yakama bike rack option from SMB (in 2006), and am verty happy with it. It swings out, and is very secure for two bikes. I also made a cover, which works very well in keeping dirt road dust and rain off the bikes.
Steve

Attached Thumbnails
PA190752.JPG   DSC_0839.JPG   P5210081.JPG  
BACKRDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #6

sweet setups! Thanks for sharing. Ya, the Northshore is what i'm talking about basically. I was just thinking of one that hangs from the doors instead of using the 2" receiver at all, and still have doors open, like 2 bikes on each side. Skewer hanging is scary though, and nothing is gonna swing out of the way quite like a hitch rack. I have 3 already, i guess i just can't be satisfied!

Anyone know about how high the Fords are with bikes on the roof? I'm about to borrow a safari rack for a trip and i plan to try it. Not sure if it would be a clearance problem in the real world, but i wouldn't be able to get any more health food through those low drive thru's. bummer.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #7

I installed a 10,000 lb 2" receiver hitch on the front of the van and put the bike rack up front.
The only downside is the loss of some headlights at night, if needed I can switch it to the back receiver with a 8" "stinger" extension so it clears the rear tire mount.
jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #8

Garage

I would never put any bike of value (that's all I have) on a hitch mount rack. Either it goes on top or inside.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #9

I have roof mounts, but have broken a fork by sweeping the bike off from tree branches. We also mount them inside, however for the last 6 years used the following. I now have delta quick release (longer throw skewers Amazon source). Two details - the top ladder door clips have been screwed thru the door, and the fork mount must be in the same plane as the rear tire mount, otherwise the bikes sit crooked. I always check the forks are tight and if paranoid have put a cable lock around bikes as well. On really dusty roads bikes are inside or on top.
Very minimalist and out of the way.....
Attached Thumbnails
Rack1.jpg   Rack2.jpg   Rack3.jpg  
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #10

i like it! Thanks!