Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #1

Another bike rack option- MWE Racks

I've been watching for this CA based company to go live for almost a year with this product. Seems like it might be a good option to haul bikes off the back while allowing for clearance or tire carriers, boxes, and access to the rear doors.

http://www.mweracks.com

Sorry, but can't post pictures from my ipad.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #2

Re: Another bike rack option- MWE Racks

i like it
wonder how much they vibrate going down the freeway and a dirt road....
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #3

I have experimented with a Yakima swing away carrier, cargo tray with fork mounts, and now a cantilevered fork mount rack that essentially stands the bikes up on their back wheels. All have had some degree of vibration with the most noticeable movement coming on offroad excursions with big movements of the van body. I like the MWE since they don't touch the bike frame, keep the bikes seperated, and will fit all types of bikes.

That being said, I'm going to mount a tray system on a new Aluminess Deluxe box and call it good.

At least it's another option for us out there!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #4

I don't see how you get more clearance while driving. You will still need a hitch extension or equiv to make it miss a tire / box etc. But it will just help with access. I personally wouldn't trust that way of holding a bike only by the tire. Seems if you had a slow puncture you'll end up dragging or dropping the bike down the road in no time.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactic
I have experimented with a Yakima swing away carrier, cargo tray with fork mounts, and now a cantilevered fork mount rack that essentially stands the bikes up on their back wheels. All have had some degree of vibration with the most noticeable movement coming on offroad excursions with big movements of the van body. I like the MWE since they don't touch the bike frame, keep the bikes seperated, and will fit all types of bikes.

That being said, I'm going to mount a tray system on a new Aluminess Deluxe box and call it good.

At least it's another option for us out there!

I have a horizontal tray on my aluminess box also
once bikes up and strapped to the top rack they are pretty solid
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #6

Hey guys,
I purchased the MWE rack late last year. Got 4000+ miles of traveling with bikes and its worked great. It swings out enough to open both swing-outs and get access to the back of the van

MWE is great to work with because they will make to shoulder custom to your rig to clear anything you have on the back.
The cradle they have works really nice, and doesn't touch the bike's frame. Since they only grab the tires, I just throw a tie-down over the top in case there is a slow leak in a tire.

Gary
2006 YZ 250f
2011 Modded KLX 110
2009 CRF 150r
MTBGary is offline   Reply With Quote