Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #1

Another great App

At the suggestion of some very bright young men at JPL I acquired an App that benefits the use of my Solar Panels and it really does work . I have used and monitored its functions intermit tingly every day for the last two weeks . It is called Sun Seeker and it was free with an upgrade that was very inexpensive at $5.99 , their website is http://www.ozpda.com
This application allows you to track the Suns rise and set from anywhere that you might be in the world thru the use of a GPS Magnetometer locating the Suns correct Solar position for any date chosen , great for photography , gardening , and parking in the most advantageous direction for solar
charging . Incidentally I read the reviews and found it to be absolutely spot on and very easy to understand even for me inspite of some of the reviewers difficulties in fixing their positions . I am using this app on an older Apple I Phone 3G , it works even better on my Daughters iPhone 5 , she acquired it for use as a Landscape Architect and loves it .
Greggd

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Another great App

I came across that one just a few weeks ago, and was tempted, but here's one instance where the lack of a rear facing camera on my Google Nexus 7 limits it's functionality (the app's augmented reality view, or whatever they call it).

Very cool app, especially for your daughter's career, or for photographers, but I guess I'll just have to position my solar panels by trial and error.

Herb
Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #3

Mount one of these on your van Herb:
Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #4

Another great App

Ok, maybe I'm starting to get old, but...

Why would you need an app to tell you where the sun is? I'm just say'n, I've known some people that aren't too bright. But, I've never met someone that couldn't look up and find the sun...
Old 10-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoVans

Why would you need an app to tell you where the sun is? I'm just say'n, I've known some people that aren't too bright. But, I've never met someone that couldn't look up and find the sun...
The app also shows you the transit of the sun from your perspective. Great for photographers to plan their shots, and great to know the best alignment for solar panels to capture the maximum energy.

Lets face it though, apps primarily exist because someone had a thought, and wanted to show it can be done.

Herb
Old 10-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoVans

It could come in handy around here. You can spend the whole month of July in the fog, wondering where the hell the sun is.

How foggy is it?

Well, in the 1940s the Navy built a nice new airport with a 10,000 ft runway here. It was the ideal place to do fog dispersion research. After a few years, the Navy gave up and went home. The fog stayed. But at least we got to keep the airport.