Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #11

Ok so here are a few pics with the Carport attached. So far so good on the bars mounting. seems to giggle alittle over really rough stuff but no bending or cracking yet. It was super swind when I tryed this so the Carport is not centered.

wesel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
That is the cleanest set up I have seen. If that was offered by SMB I would have gone that way. Even a cheap crummy tarp could be used. I could have a fire in my pit to go and wouldn't be worried about a ember burning a hole in an expensive shelter. Nice Job. How sturdy is it? Could wind do any damage to the gutters? I just might pull my awning off.
Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #13

Nice job Wesel, the setup looks great! Did you try dropping the two front poles to see if you can still open/close the cargo doors?

The Kelty Carport is incredibly sturdy, especially if you use the guy lines correctly. Dave, you are correct that the weak point would be the gutter mounts, especially since they are not stabilized on both sides of the van. However, I couldn't imagine this being weaker than the SMB mounts.

The only advantages of the Fiamma awning that I can think of are the ease of setup/take down and that you don't have the gap between the carport and attachment point where rain water could funnel through.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
Now that's the ticket right there! I opted not to have the awning and that setup looks pretty darn cool. Where would one find a Kelty Carport? Hopefully it's not an item you'd have to go online for... because I'm totally into instant gratification!

Ric
Old 08-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #15

Thanks guys!!! I agree with you all in reguards to the weakest point being the strangth of the gutters. I figure if its really that windy I shouldn't have the Carport deployed. Im gonna do this next

The Idea it two fold, one to give additional lateral support, basically to take away stress on the raingutters and posible bending. And two to make an additonal mounting surface. So I can both mount it off the sides or off the back.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #16

Ok here are a few more up and in the down position. When down it barley touches the door and not enough the come close to causing a rip.