Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2018, 04:47 PM   #1

Another Unique fire extinguisher

Just saw this. Looks nice because it will activate itself in contact with fire, so put one in the engine compartment or the interior of the van and your covered if a fire starts and your not in your van.
What do you think?
https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...-extinguisher/

https://www.ebay.com/i/282704064044?...324f97fff281a2

https://www.facebook.com/elidefire.m...9646633897771/

dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #2

Garage
That’s slick. I wonder if I can find room for the thing in my engine bay, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:16 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
That’s slick. I wonder if I can find room for the thing in my engine bay, lol.
Was wondering the same - liked the idea of mounting inside engine bay so if a fire erupted it would just go off. Not that I dont believe the product lives up to the manufactures claims, I just envision hearing a "boom" while driving down the road.
Very interested in results if another volunteers to test the product...just cant get myself to do it until i'm confident the heat under the hood (especially during a prolonged stop) wouldn't inadvertently set it off.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
Orv

Garage
Do bear in mind that discharging any fire extinguisher in the engine compartment will probably stall the engine. Depending on the situation that might be a more immediate threat to life and limb than the fire.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
Do bear in mind that discharging any fire extinguisher in the engine compartment will probably stall the engine. Depending on the situation that might be a more immediate threat to life and limb than the fire.
If you have a engine compartment fire you have a major problem! I personally would think that is a bigger problem than not having power brakes or power steering, and stopping immediately is a must. I am curios what you believe is the more immediate threat than a burning flaming vehicle driving down the road?
I have bought 5 of these and yes I will put one in my engine compartment so will let you know how that goes (Hopefully NOT)and one will be in the interior, the rest for around the house. I also got the Element and a Tundra as well as a good old fashion extinguisher for when I am present and see the fire but having some protection for when I might not be around or having a automatic system is just one more layer of safety. The sooner its out the less damage, a little fire is easier to put out than a big one.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:03 PM   #6
Orv

Garage
*shrug* In high school a guy I knew put a car in the ditch at highway speed after the engine abruptly died in the middle of a passing maneuver on a 2-lane road. In that situation, or if I were being closely tailgated by a semi, I might prefer to pull over to deal with the fire. Obviously it's going to depend on how bad the fire is and what kind of extinguisher. (A dry chemical extinguisher will probably permanently seize a running engine, a gas extinguisher will just stall it.)
Old 11-24-2018, 12:01 AM   #7

Just curious why you think it would stall or seize the engine? First the air intake is in front of the radiator partition not in the engine compartment, second the air filter element should remove any extinguisher particulate just like it filters dust, third extinguisher chemical does not take away the oxygen. So what kills the engine? I would think the fire is more likely to do more damage by melting hoses and wires and more likely to compromise the engine and other things so your not counting on it anyway. And driving down the road possibly spreading fire as you go along is not good either, so I'm going with first get the fire out then deal with what else is going on. Just my reasoning.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #8

Old 11-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #9

Garage
Diesel engines run at temps that may set the thing off under normal circumstances. Just thinkin'.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #10

I'm all in favor of anything which will reduce the time a fire can burn. And personally, I'd rather lose engine power than try to stop a ball of fire and smoke coming from the engine compartment. But the manufacturer has some limits that apply to this.

From https://elidefireusa.com/faq/

Cost: $120 each
Lifespan: 5 years
Environmental limitations: -40F to +185F
Activation: >200F or open flame

Given the above, I'm not sure it would be appropriate to store it in your engine compartment unless you have an electric vehicle..

But definitely post if you do use one, I'd love to hear how it holds up. The 'activation' at >200F was as little ambiguous on their website, I interpreted it as best I could.
tonka is offline   Reply With Quote