Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #1

Backup Camera & Monitor

Looking for a backup camera that provides a wide angle view of the rear of the vehicle. I'd be mounting it high up by the penthouse break light.
I like the idea of replacing the rear-view mirror with a rear-view mirror-monitor for ease of display reading, but would like something a little easier to view than the 3 inch square views I've seen in most of my google searches. I have seen a few 10.2 inch monitors that look like a nice display in the adds, but that's a lot of monitor to have hanging off of your rear-view mirror. I was wondering about mounting it where the vanity mirror sits in the drivers-side visor...?
Does anyone have a setup like this? I'm thinking it would be a great placement that's out of the way when not in use, but may cause the visor to not sit flush with the ceiling when folded up.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Here's a link to one with the larger monitor I came across, (haven't been able to find my way back to the one with the infra-red camera i found earlier):

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM105-1...ion/B0052YOD48

Old 07-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #2

Re: Backup Camera & Monitor

I purchased my camera here.http://www.rockyamericas.com/usa/hotDeals.html. They have some nice cameras, look for one that you can flip the picture like it would be in a mirror. This can be done in some monitors also but not all of them. This site does have some monitors also, I did not purchase mine there, as my monitor is a also a touchscreen input for carputer.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #3

How wide of an view do you get with that camera? if you were trying to line up a trailer hitch would you be able to guide your way in to the receiver with that camera placement? Good point about reversing the view in the monitor, I guess you could get turned around about what was on which side of your rear otherwise?

-Mark & Mary...
Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #4

Backup Camera & Monitor

There are several threads on this around, try searching. I used a Boyo rear license plate camera, but mounted it up high above the rear doors, and it provides an excellent view through a Pioneer dash-video unit. I have not used a flat visor mount but like that idea if I could find a deal on one. I would say you will easily be able to back right up on a receiver hitch if you by a decent quality camera and monitor, but beware of the Chinese junk. The picture is pretty lousy. I'm not going to bash anyone's equipment based on rumor because I haven't tried many of these, but I did enough research before I bought mine to know that Boyo is a high quality brand.
Also, there are some great deals on them on Amazon, I paid $60 bucks for my camera and it came with 20' of good quality cable.

Here's a pic of mine mounted, it's not perfect up there but blends right in and doesn't look awful either.

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343408077.623670.jpg[/attachme

Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343408077.623670.jpg  
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #5

I thought about getting just the camera part of this kit. It just replaces the license plate light.

http://www.echomaster.com/e-series.html

I have an in dash DVD unit so I just use that as a monitor. I opted for this one and mounted it hidden under my bumper as far forward and out of site as I could.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM38FRV-Un ... kup+camera

It works great better than I thought it would and while it might be nice to have it up higher I driven vans so long with out one I stil don't hardly use it much. I would how ever like to have parking sensors someday.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosMars
How wide of an view do you get with that camera? if you were trying to line up a trailer hitch would you be able to guide your way in to the receiver with that camera placement? Good point about reversing the view in the monitor, I guess you could get turned around about what was on which side of your rear otherwise?

-Mark & Mary...
The camera has a wide angle, but I would need to point it down some more to see the trailer hitch. I have it up more for distance, but the angle is adjustable.

Edit: Added Photo of Camera view

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #7

My experience is that most of the monitors have a polarity reverse, so you can set it up where you aren't seeing a reversed image. Also, I have noticed with my own that you can point it down just enough to see your hitch and also have a wide enough (actually, tall enough) field of vision to see what's behind you, but the distance plays tricks on you. Vehicles look like they are way behind you in the camera, but they are actually right behind you or in your blind spot on the sides. Meaning, I have learned to get way ahead of a vehicle I'm passing before I come over if watching the camera. If I relied on the image I'm actually seeing, I would come right over on them.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #8

Thanks for all of the replies. Good info, especially about staying away from the cheap Chinese products. I'd rather pay a bit more for quality and reliability up front than to have to replace something out of frustration down the road.
As far as infra-red/night vision: is it really necessary? Do your reverse lights give you enough illumination to avoid obsicles at night? I like the lower profile of the Boyo camera in the pic up-thread, especially if it's something I'm going to get used to fairly quickly. I'm getting very comfortable with the handling of the new rig, but getting out of my driveway can be challenging in the morning. We live on a fairly narrow street and parking can get pretty tight, especially when there's a church service (very popular church two doors down).

I'm going to try another search on here. I wasn't specific enough in my initial efforts, were the other threads in the gadget forum?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #9

Backup Camera & Monitor

Mine gives good enough light at night. My reverse and tail/brake lights brighten things up quite a bit.

Try the electronics forum maybe for more threads.